Reverse SC - or just do it left handed?

Tamara

Question

Weird random thought. I'm right handed. I taught myself to crochet left-handed so I could teach left-handed students (I work with kids a lot).

I haven't had the occassion to do a reverse single crochet yet, been looking at a couple of patterns. Do you think I'd get the same effect if I just switched hands and crocheted back down the row?

7 answers to this question

In theory, that might sound like a good idea, but it is not going to look the same at all. When you do reverse single crochet, you are actually placing each single crochet behind the previous one. Doing it left handed would be the same as crocheting right handed, except the stitches will be going in the opposite direction.

In theory, that might sound like a good idea, but it is not going to look the same at all. When you do reverse single crochet, you are actually placing each single crochet behind the previous one. Doing it left handed would be the same as crocheting right handed, except the stitches will be going in the opposite direction.

What Mudpie said... :bounce

I was sitting here trying to think of a way to explain that and I wasn't having much luck. :blush

But she's right you would just be making regular single crochets, just using the other hand.

:think It will not look the same because when you do reverse SC, you keep the yarn in your left hand and twist the hook back towards you, and into the front of the work, picking up the yarn and pulling it through, then completing the stitch.

Gives a small, twisted stitch, almost like a Picot. If you just swap hands, you will just get a normal SC.

Give it a try and see what I mean.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Lucky you:) In tapestry crochet, you switch from left to right. Unless, like me, you can't, then have to use reverse sc.

Alosha

I'm glad you mentioned this, cuz I've never understood quite how that works, since the rsc *I've* always done has a very corded appearance - not at all like regular sc. Isn't there a difference in the way your rows look?

Archived