Size 4.5mm hook?

jingles96

As I was starting my Olympic swatching tonight, I realized something. My pattern calls for a 4.5mm hook, but after gathering up all my hooks, I realized that my Bates go from an H/4mm to a G/5mm. Granted, the pattern is German, but is there no American 4.5mm hook?

Huh - I just checked my Susan Bates Knit Check and it has a spot between the H & G, but labels it as "7". I guess this is a European size, not an American one?

I'm starting the swatch with an H/4mm hook.

I think 4.5 is a relatively new-in the last few yrs-size. I have a lot of kids stuff that takes a 4.5 and I have it in Bates and Clover. They did not come in a set though-had to buy them individually. They say G 4.5 on them which is strange since I have G 4.0 too.

You can get them at Michael's etc

Hi Anna, I am also quite unsure of hook sizes when it comes to letters and numbers. I have a 4.5 mm aluminum hook (Tulip brand). Here it is:

96169447_dc52213927.jpg

And I have a double-sized hook (also Tulip) numbered 7/0 and 8/0

96169446_b9d3438fa0.jpg

Comparing the two, the number 8/0 is about the same size as the 4.5mm one.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. :) I knew somebody here in Cville would have an answer for me. Turns out several somebodies did. ;)

Guess I have to make a trip to Michaels or Hobby Lobby this week. Darn. :lol

I guess this is just another one of those frustrating "quirks" of non-standard sizings. Grrr....

Thanks ladies!

The 4.5mm is a European sizing. But, now more American brands are selling them. Depending on the brand and the store, sometimes it's listed as a F hook and sometims a G hook. I always go by the "mm" and not the letter since I have hooks from differnt compaines and differnt brands have differnt "mm" sizing for the same letter...

I went to Hobby Lobby today and searched through ALL their hooks. And they had quite a selection. Result: Bates only had H/4mm and G/5mm, Boye had a G/4.25mm and Clover had a 4.5mm. I picked up the G/4.25. I'm would have picked up wth Clover 4.5mm, but it was about $5.50 and a Boye style hook. Not ideal, but I'll keep it in mind if I need it. I'll also keep that website in mind too, though it looks like Aero brand is a Boyle style head too.

Thanks for all the help!

Archived