colours

I find it strange that if I crochet baby things in white or pastel colours they tend to sell, but if I use darker colours for babies they don't budge. When I look at peoples finished garments on here a lot of them for babies are the darker colours and they look great, I am wondering if it's a UK thing:think

Cherish x

Hi Cherish

I actually find the opposite here. It seems people can find TONS of items in stores that are pastels, but very few vibrant colors.

I have found that most of the items I have sold, are definately bright colors.

HOWEVER, the older customers.... like grandmothers, and great grandmothers, they still like pastels. My young moms love the bright. Maybe it is just an age preference.

Kristen

HI! I am finding that with all the new yarns, people are experimenting with doing baby items with fur and eyelash yarns for trim, contrasting colors for edgings, and using confettis and boucles for baby items. There's a sweater/hat hanging in my local yarn shop that is made out of a confetti yarn with an edging made out of the same yarn but in a different color. It's gorgeous. There is also a baby afghan done in shell stitch out of a beige confetti yarn that has flecks of royal blue, bright red, and yellow that is stunning. I think people are looking for more designer things even for babies, and why not - if you're making it, just use a newer yarn for a newer look!:drool

i dont make anything baby in pastel.. however i do make ivory.. i dont do white..

but when it comes to colours.. i do not necessarily dark .. butunexpected.. and those things seem to sell well .. righ tnow i am doing samples for an upscale baby store here in town and one is a brownish peach .. and the other is a periwinkle.. and i am certain they will sell..

i think its just the area or maybe even the age group you are selling to... most of my ivory goes to the older more conseravtive grandparent types where as the colours sell to the younger hipster crowd..

i find that people want either bright colors or very traditional colors. most of the ones who want the traditional are older people, but i know that all people do not just use blue for a boy and pink for a girl, i like to make my sets in pretty bright colors, maybe pinks and blues, but not pastels:P i am sure its not just a uk thing:think :hug :hug

Its a regional thing too I guess. People in India usually prefer brightly coloured things for baby even dark colours ....especially the older generation as they find it more practical and durable. And they also prefer bright colours in general. But the younger generation is a bit inclined to pastel colours for babies. Just the other way around !

I make a lot of baby stuff for gifts but I get requests for avoiding white and ivory. They prefer colours that wont show any stubborn stains they say.

Yasmin.

Archived