Hee! I whomped 'em at my Michael's.

I must be the only Crochetville member in San Jose, because there just wasn't much of a competition at my Michael's. Four showed up for crochet, nine for knitting.

Crocheters were given a new skein of Red Heart Super Saver and a new size G Susan Bates hook in its case. We did a foundation chain of 20, with the first DC in third row from hook and three chains for a turning row. The competition was to make as long a swatch of DCs as possible in five minutes. Most people got two or three rows done. I completed quite a bit more. They counted the number of rows to determine the total number of stitches, so there was no penalty for a tight gauge.

Everyone got to keep the hook and yarn, so you get about $5 of stuff just for showing up. The winner's basket at my store had two skeins of Red Heart Baby Clouds, a set of Boye hooks in F, G, H, & I with a pair of tiny folding scissors, stitch markers, a Leisure Arts baby afghans book, and, because there is always some kind of knitting-related indignity, a set of needle protectors.

Knitters cast on 10 and knitted from there. The winner alternated knit and

purl but everyone else just knit.

I learned that everything I do with yarn is very different from what others do. Everyone else points their knitting needles up; I point them down. Everyone else holds their crochet hook in a dainty manner; I've got mine in my fist. I've never crocheted in public before. It was an educational experience.

Hey, Three Olives and a Martini, how'd you do? How'd everyone else who entered do?

--Elissa

ok, i didn't even know there was a competition at michaels like this...and i work there (well sort of...i think i was replaced without being notified) :lol

How'd everyone else who entered do?

Lousy. :thumbdown But I expected it. I wasn't even going to enter (I went over to Michaels to watch), but I was talked into it.

Ours was a double crochet competition also, and I'm much quicker on single crochet. Plus I'm extremely slow when crocheting right into the chain (the first row).

Three minute competition...the winner crocheted 44 stitches. I only did 22 (just completed the first row). Five competitors, and I finished fourth.

Funny thing is...no one showed up for knitting.:haha

Congrats, Elissa!:cheer Sounds like fun... the closest Michael's to me is over an hour away. I wonder if A.C. Moore or JoAnne's has a similar event. My local library is having a Fiber Arts day in a couple of weeks, I can't wait!

Archived