Oops, I accidently bought a spinning wheel...

nataleeza

... after I'd decided not to. :woo

I had seen a wheel in a 2nd hand shop, but I didn't get it, another lady did. I was a little gutted, but decided that I should probably just start saving for a new one, and get that in a years time. I love my spindle, so I was in no hurry.

But, yesterday, my Dad found one advertised for very cheap (the woman was moving), and we happened to be in the neighbourhood of the seller's place last night. I went to have a play with it, and bought it :eek . It's another Ashford Traditional, and I guess you can just see for yourself:

mywheelsmall.jpg

I guess it was just meant to be. I'm super excited! I got up early this morning (by 45 minutes), so I could post a pic, and let you all see :jumpyay

Thanks guys!

Her name is Betsy, and I'm sure she'll help me spin some beautiful stuff as soon as I can get the right tension on the break band :lol

I'm finding it a lot harder than I found drop spindling at the start, but I have all of this evening ahead of me! I've convinced my lovely Blair to make dinner so I don't have to take a break to cook. Don't I have the best guy in the world?!

Congrats on the new wheel. Make sure that the spring is quite loose, tighten the tension just enough to get the yarn to pull onto the bobbin, increase as your bobbin fills. I have some fantastic new wool rovings that you might like to try. See them in my online store

Deb

http://www.dudleyspinner.com/

Well Rebecca, I really did get up early to post a pic, I didn't actually play with it... I have a number of friends overseas (almost all of my friends are terrific enablers), so I had to get a pic up on my blog so they could see it.

I didn't have time to play with it that morning, and it still took another hour that night to make (beginner) yarn.

If I'd played with it that morning, I would have gone to work grouchy because it still wasn't working.

On the upside, I worked out all of the hard bits for myself by trial and error. For instance, I know know what happens when the breakband is too tight/loose. I know why there are a series of hooks, and I know how the little knobby adjusts the wheel tension.

I really thought I knew how it worked, until I started using it :P

Archived