Barbie outfit-along

kagome4

I collect Barbies, so I will sign up...I've never made Barbie clothes (swore I never would, but I bought a pattern from Annie's Attic for a replica dress pattern of Princess Di's dress that she wore when she danced with John Travolta...still haven't made it yet...) but I will try this one pattern and then for me I'll do the other dress...

That's really cool site with lots of nice patterns. Count me in! Perhaps we could just do a crochet-a-long with any of the patterns there? My 8 year old was never into Barbie but she sure is into clothes ! I'm thinking that if I make the halter dress from that site it will catch her attention ! Got my hook and thread ready. I'll start tonight!

Here's the dress I am going to try:

http://barbiebasics.tripod.com/crochet50.html

Insomina can be a good thing...I've got the dress 3/4th done...I'll be making changes though...I really don't like the "ruffle" where it's at...I'm gonna experiment...this is so fun. Meanwhile, I got to see the christening of Denmark's Prince Frederick and his Australian wife's (Mary) baby Christian repeated on television, while I was working on this Barbie dress...very nice...you should have seen the christening gown...just beautiful...

That halter dress is really cute...and I think you have a great idea about maybe making this a Barbie clothes (any pattern) crochet a long...

I started the Halter Dress tonight and completed the first five rows of shell stitches alternating between pink and a cream color change for each row. Those were the only colors of #10 thread I had in the house. I got a little freaked out when I realized I might have to weave in a zillion threads due to the color changes so I started crocheting over the ends to solve that problem. I was much happier after that. I'll do a little more and post a picture tomorrow night. It's going to take me a week or more to finish this dress but I'll do it !!

I just want to say that I was so happy to see this CAL pop up. I'd been wandering around the house all evening not knowing what to do with myself and when I read this I was able to print the pattern grab my hook, thread and start!

I've been lurking on different CAL's for a couple of weeks but not committing to anything. I know my limitations. I work full time and have a very high maintainance family. My husband works from home and is always underfoot, my daughter is involved in a zillion activites and my son, who is autistic needs constant supervision. There's so much chaos in this house that I can't work on any big projects. This little dress is perfect for me. I work on 12" squares a lot too. Anything to keep me sane !

Lorraine...like with everything else in life, it's the little things that will make or break us...I woke up this morning thinking, "I've got to get back to that dress..." :lol

I used to subscribe to Barbie Bazaar magazine and every year they'd publish pictures of results of their "make over" Barbie contest...just amazing work...and there would be at least 1 crocheted creation...ironically, a good chunk of the designers would be guys...and once I was able to go to a Barbie show (the only one I've ever been to actually) in Paris...my goodness, the French totally adore Ms. Barbie...it's a whole fashion thing with them...

Okay, the dress is done with modifications. I don't have a pic yet because I put the dress on my Talking Stacey (Barbie's British friend from the 60's...I've had her since I was 9) and her arm broke off and she's being repaired...but the dress looks good on her...as soon as the rubber band comes off, I'll take a pic and post...

I did the dress in ecru, added a picot trim to the hem and the "ruffle" I totally modified and only did one row of. Instead of doing the loops and buttons, I did a lace up the back affair...I'm calling it the Desperate Housewives dress because Stacey looks a bit harassed with her hair right now (really needs to get a salon appointment...) I love the dress...Stacey's currently hanging out with the Hard Rock Barbies and the Sandy from Grease Barbie recuperating from her "shoulder injury..." Pictures pending...

Now on to the Princess Di dress for me...

LeAnna- I can't wait to see pics! I really have to get on the ball. I don't have the #10 thread I need so it is off to the craft store for me.

Lorraine- I can completely understand your situation. I have 3 kids, the youngest (17 months) has a form of CP and the other two has endless activities (or so it seems endless!). Oh, and a husband who works a ton of hours. I HAVE to crochet -it's my sanity saver!

:lol :lol :lol You are too funny :lol I can't wait to see those pictures.

I went in my daughter's room this morning to borrow one of her Barbies but her dress is nowher near ready to be modeled.

I also dug deep in my dresser drawers and pulled out a Barbie sized #10 pearl cotton crochet wedding dress, veil and nosegay that I had bought at a flea market years ago. Beautiful work that was done by someone some time ago. There is beadwork on the veil and a beaded necklace. One of the girls in my office does beaded jewlery. Maybe I'll ask her to help me restore the necklace a bit. The clasps are rusty.

I'll be curious to see how my daughter (age 8) reacts when she sees all of this new activity that has developed overnight :hook

47b6df05b3127cce96838c30474000000015108BZuHDlwyao

Here's my Talking Stacey that I've had since I was 9 years old...and yes after surgery, she talks now...She was Barbie's British friend and she talks with a Brit accent..."What's playing at the cinema, shall we go?" "I think mini skirts are smashing!"

Meanwhile, there's the dress...hard to see what little detail there is...but hold on...

47b6df05b3127cce96838c00477000000015108BZuHDlwyao

Slightly better pic of the ruffle detail and the picot trim on the hem...Sandy from Grease in the background looks on!

47b6df05b3127cce96838cfdc6bd00000015108BZuHDlwyao

Awwww...much better...this was a fun dress to work on...don't ask about the Princess Di dress though...that is some slow moving work...but it's looking nice...

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1481

The above link is to the Princess Diana dress I'm working on...eventually I will do it in the blue called for...but right now, I'm doing it in rose...

• 1 month later...
http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1481

The above link is to the Princess Diana dress I'm working on...eventually I will do it in the blue called for...but right now, I'm doing it in rose...

Hi, eurolyons (:hi)

thank you for posting this link - through it, I found a red heart pattern I wanted, but didn't know was available free (how cool is that? :yay)

Archived