ends cuts off at knot

crochet.sandie

Question

I know there have been other threads about glue vs knot vs tie vs weave etc. I won't restart that conversation as everything seems to have been said and you can go and read it. However, on the issue of glue -- I rec'd some squares for a charity project and at the start of the granny there is a knot and the yarn is cut off right at the knot. It's impossible for me to tell if it was woven in and THEN knotted without undoing one completely which I may have to do I guess. If it is not woven at all, but just knotted at the end it will come undone. I can't in good conscience make an afghan that I know will come undone and give it to someone who has already had a rough time. So what do I do?

I was thinking about the idea of glue mentioned. Someone told me about an Aleene's product that might work. (Aleene's Ok to Wash It) Does anyone have experience with this particular product that I can purchase that they KNOW works to keep it from unraveling? I obviously can't wash it over and over again to see if it comes undone. hee hee When searching for that product online I saw Aleene's Stop Fraying as well.

I have no idea who made the square as these were passed to me from someone else so I can't ask the creater of the square.

Thanks for any thoughts on this topic. I want to use every square since they were donated with a kind heart and charitable hands.

13 answers to this question

I've never used the glue so I don't know how it would work. But Maybe you could undo the knot and frog one round of the square and then you could redo that round in a stitch that used less yarn so you'd have a proper tail for weaving in.

I've never used the glue so I don't know how it would work. But Maybe you could undo the knot and frog one round of the square and then you could redo that round in a stitch that used less yarn so you'd have a proper tail for weaving in.

That is a wonderful idea for where the knot is at the end of the piece and I will likely do that for those have a small 1" end dangling. However, the knot I'm talking about is at the beginning -- in the center of the granny square. That's my biggest problem.

Keep in mind I am not talking about just one square, but dozens. Please don't get me wrong. I am VERY grateful for the squares. I appreciate each and every one of them and the time the volunteer took to make them.

Thanks to you all for offering your thoughts.

Ok, I don't know if this will work, but here's what I can contribute.

I have an afghan that was made for my mom by my aunt. Since my mom passed away years ago, I try to keep anything that was hers in good condition. I noticed last year that somehow a stitch must have gotten snagged or something because the yarn was split there and some of the stitches unraveled. My aunt fixed it the best she could and told me just to superglue the main stitch together. I had just started crocheting at this point but I asked again "Super Glue?" She told me that she has used that several times and just one little drop does the trick. I haven't had a problem with it since (although it is just hanging on my afghan rack, I don't use it myself.)

My aunt fixed it the best she could and told me just to superglue the main stitch together. I had just started crocheting at this point but I asked again "Super Glue?" She told me that she has used that several times and just one little drop does the trick. I haven't had a problem with it since (although it is just hanging on my afghan rack, I don't use it myself.)

I never thought of super glue. Did it dry clear and soft? Or is it hard at that spot?

I never thought of super glue. Did it dry clear and soft? Or is it hard at that spot?

Mine dried clear. It is hard on that spot, but it's just a tiny spot so it really isn't noticeable. I have to really look to find it now! I haven't washed it since then (again, this afghan is just for show) but my aunt says she's never had a problem using super glue... She's been crocheting forever and has had to fix countless things like this. It works for her...

Hi Sandie, have you thought about just whipping the knot down with some sewing thread in a matching color. It would keep it from becoming undone, go through the wash and still be soft. Depending on how much you sew, you should be able to make it almost unnoticeable, and it could be done fairly quickly. Since you said dozens, the super glue idea might be the way to go. I have sewn repairs in the past, it is just another way to go if you don't feel comfortable using glue.

Hi Sandie, have you thought about just whipping the knot down with some sewing thread in a matching color. It would keep it from becoming undone, go through the wash and still be soft.

Ever since I rec'd a preemie afghan made of squares joined with regular sewing thread which came completely apart in the wash, I've been leery about combining sewing thread and yarn. Of course you'd also have to match it well, as you said. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

I did frog one square and the center knot is at the very beginning of the foundation chain. There was actually no strand at all. It was tied off and cut.

you can also attach a fine piiece of thread to it by using a nail knot..... if you want to do it quickly you can use a tool called a tie-fast or a simular fly tying tool found at most stores that sell fishing equipment.

I used the Ok to Wash It glue on my daughters Brownie badge sash and she's now 20 and it's still holding strong. Original plan was to glue then sew but in the insanity of those schooldays (for all of us, I was back in college then too; and a single mom) it never did get sewn. Glued my son's scout stuff too, and when the council offically changed names it was fun getting the old insignia off.

you can also attach a fine piiece of thread to it by using a nail knot..... if you want to do it quickly you can use a tool called a tie-fast or a simular fly tying tool found at most stores that sell fishing equipment.

I'm not familiar with the nail knot or the tie-fast, but your idea gave me another idea. If I could work out the knot a bit I could tie another piece of yarn and sew that in to give a bit more security. Not how I would normally do it, of course, but it might work. An idea, anyway.

I'm leaning towards using the Aleene's Ok to Wash It. My husband was able to find it right here at WalMart.

I appreciate every response. Thanks for reading and taking the time to post a reply.

I've used the Ok to wash it glue to attach magnets to the back of crochet motifs to decorate my fridge and for gifts. They've held up beautifully though many washes thanks to a toddler who likes to play with them with jelly covered fingers. That glue is great stuff.

Archived