Look what I bought

Everything looks nice...I especially like the granny garden one...I couldnt make one of those if I was paid....and I love your towels...I have that rooster one and the one with the pineapples...lol:lol :hook

Very nice finds. I like the hexagon granny best. I like granny squares. The first one you show would be nice to come up with a pattern for that. I think it would be a nice design for a teenager that is into something bright and/or bold. My husband has a thing for afghans. We have several he has picked up at garage sales. We also picked up a quilt of many colors. Someone made it out of different shapes of different material or pieces of clothing. It's a queen size and we paid $30.00 for it at an antique store. They had 2 but we only bought 1. Now we have wished we would of bought both.

Marlene

My grandmother made me an afghan like the first one for HS graduation many moons ago, and I copied the stitch pattern and made several more. Each row is finished off to make the fringe. Here is the pattern I came up with...

Figure out how many stitches you want between the diagonal stitches, add the diagonal stitch and multiple by the number of repeats you need to make it the length you want, (multiples of 5,10, 15 etc, or whatever you choose)and chain that many stitches (with a good length tail at the starting end for fringe), finish off, leaving a tail for fringe.

*Go back to starting end and join, again leaving a tail for fringe, SC across, finish off, again leaving a tail for fringe. * Repeat between the *'s until the border on the side is as wide as you would like (4-5 rows), beginning and ending each row with a tail for fringe. Do not turn - Just go back to the starting end to start the next row!

To begin the pattern stitches (diagonals), *SC the number of stitches of your chosen multiple (10, 15, etc.). The next stitch is a FPDC around the corresponding stitch 2 rows below the row you are working on.* Repeat between the *'s to the end of the row, ending with an SC instead of the FPDC, finish off.

Next row - SC the number of your multiple plus 1, FPDC, *SC number of your multiple, FPDC*. Repeat between the stars to the end of the row, finish off. The FPDC's should fall one stitch to the left or right of the previous row FPDC (depending on if you are left or right-handed).

Next row should be 1 SC, FPCD, SC your multiple, FPDC, SC your multiple, across, finish off.

Continue each row, shifting the FPDC - multiple SC pattern by one stitch left or right on each row until your afghan is as wide as you want it.

Do 4-5 rows of regular SC for the border, without the FPDC as at the beginning.

For the fringe, I went back and tied the fringes, #1 tied to #3, 2 tied to 4, 3 tied to 5, etc., across each end to secure the tails, or you could tie the first 2-3 together, however you want your fringe to look. Trim the fringe to the length you want, and you are done!

I hope this makes sense...it is complicated to explain, but very easy to do! The best part about the afghan is NO ENDS TO WEAVE IN! Your ends become the fringe!! If you have any questions, drop me a PM and I will try to explain it!

Laurie:hook

I like all of the afghans! What treasures!

Laurie...thanks for the pattern...I think this would be a neat way to use up scrap yarn! So much to do...so little time!

Theresa

thanks everyone....i could crochet 99 hours a day.....if only it were possible.

i am a nurse...so i work 3 days a week 12 hour shifts...but i THINK about crochet all day.

OCD they call it! LOL

Archived