New at crocheting

Hi, i have been crocheting for a year now. Still trying to get the knack of reading patterns. I dont seem to have to much of a problem sticking to 5 rows or less. My daughter is getting married and i want to make her a nice afghan. Please send pictures with all paterns. thanks lisa

Check out crochetpatterncentral.com There's an entire menu of afghans there, many of them very easy and some designed by people on this forum. Even if not, if you get stuck, you can always ask for advice inthe help thread. There are so many beautiful afghans out there, it'll be hard to choose. Patty

I agree.. you will love Crochet pattern Central. ANd welcome to crochetville. Remember, everyone here is full of encouragement and this is the best group of people on the internet.

Welcome to Crochetville :) I can only echo what the others said as far as patterns and where to find them. There are some beautiful ones out there but you have to be comfortable with your skill level and the difficulty you can handle with it.

Here's a hint.. when I first started reading patterns eons ago now, I would take a pencil and put a tiny mark next to a row as I finished it.. I still have problems sometimes with the directions running together and once in awhile will employ this trick. It does help keep you on track ;)

Good luck and again.. Welcome to Crochetville :jumpyay

I've been known to rewrite patterns with repeats. For example, if part of the pattern says "(dc, ch1, dc) two times", I'll write it out as "dc, ch1, dc, dc, ch1, dc". For some reason the second way is a lot easier for my brain to understand.Or perhaps I'm just weird. :)

Hey! It will get easier I promise!

I started crocheting in November and could not imagine making anything more complicated than a scarf. Then I joined this fabulous forum!

I read, the "crochet help" starting back at the beginning and printed out all the answers from these talented folks that pertained to pattern reading...then I worked a pattern. Then I worked another pattern. Both were from CPC. Things that were confusing all of a sudden became clear:) Don't get me wrong, I did my share of frogging on these patterns but the mistakes helped me learn.

Now I am making a sweater rated "intermediate" and I am finding it quite easy! My next projects are a couple of tops from "Cool Crochet" which I never dreamed I could ever do!

Practice, practice and I promise you it will come.

Hooray for the "AHA!" moments:clap

Archived