Great buy at Big Lots!!

I could not believe my eyes -- yesterday's mail brought a sales flyer from our local Big Lots that showed assorted types of yarn for $1.99 for each skein, regardless of brand and type.

So, my DH took me today and my jaw dropped open -- it was only 4 bins on the end of one aisle, but they were stuffed with all colors of Caron Cozi and Jewel Box -- and each one was priced at only $1.99! :c9 Needless to say, I took advantage of it and stocked up on all of the colors I could get -- about $60.00 total for 30 skeins. I am happy with the savings and now have so much of these gorgeous yarns for the hats and scarves that my daughters and friends love to get.

I was really surprised at Big Lots carrying any yarn, because I had called them both in Arlington some months ago and was told that neither one carried any yarn at that time. I told the managers I spoke with that they were overlooking a significant segment of the buying public -- crocheters and knitters -- and should really consider carrying at least some yarn. I guess I was not the only one to complain, because now they have it. :clap

Interestingly, right behind me in the checkout was another shopper with a big selection of the yarn, too. I was glad because maybe that will encourage a bigger selection of yarn to be stocked in the future -- and their prices are bound to be lower than the HL or Michaels. ;)

wow, you made a haul. i only bought 4 skeins. i've bought yarn there before. but they don't always have it. i keep my eyes pealed for their ads. it's usually the funkier yarns, so i get a chance to try it without breaking my bank.

They have been carrying yarn at my Big Lots for months, unfortunately it is located next to Hobby Lobby. They have the funky yarns too but for a few months they tried to sell them at #4.00 a skein. No one was buying, now they have reduced their prices to $1.99 here too! :clap

Congratulations on your awesome deal!!! Sounds like you will be crocheting for quite a while on that.

Our BigLots is going out of business, should be gone within the month or shortly after. :sigh

I live in Florida, and I try and go into Big Lots on Tues. causing Wed. is when the flyer comes in my paper showing all the neat stuff for the week, well being there on Tues I get first choice, before other see in flyer. Anyways, yes they had the Caron Jewel Box, really nice colors, but I did not buy any, I think I must be depressed, cause this is the first time in my life I passed up fantastic yarn real cheap. As for Big Lots, no they do not carry yarn on any reg. basis, and I am sure they never will, that is not what that store is about, they get close out stuff from other stores, etc. so it is something that you just have to look for when you go in, ( but go on Tues.) lol

I like Big Lots, but as beachlady pointed out, they buy closeouts from other stores, so their stock does not have the consistency that other stores like JoAnns or Michaels might have. You just have to keep your eyes open and see when they have what you want at the price you want it! I'm so glad you are finding that deal. Our Big Lots is 90 miles away. :sigh

I bought some of both of those kinds of yarn today, I bought 4 Cozi and 2 Jewel Box, I love them so far. I'm in SC and I was pleasantly suprised at the prices I had no idea until I went there. My gma told me about the sale but she didn't tell me how much! :D

<3 Jes.

The last time I was in Tupelo (there's no Big Lots in Oxford, ugh. I love that store, lol!) I found yarn there. But it was really cheapo yarn that felt worse than Red Heart, and rug yarn. I wish I could just go to look, but it's over an hour away. Poo.:(

Archived