Washing fun fur

Ambersafghans

Question

6 answers to this question

I never have washed fun fur, but when I want to see how stuff holds up, I crochet a swatch, trace around it on a piece of paper and run it through the laundry. Then I re-measure to see if it shrunk. With fun fur, I'd worry more about losing all the hairiness!

I have it on my daughter's jeans and several ponchos that get washed. I wash the jeans on normal and it has held up fairly well. Not quite as fluffy as it was originally, but still really nice and furry. On the ponchos, I was on my Knitted Washable cycle and they are just fine. I even throw everything in the dryer with no bad effects.

These are pictures of fur that has been through the washer and dryer numerous times. [images are clickable]

th_1014002.jpg th_1014003.jpg

I always wash delicate looking things by hand, squeeze the water out, (never wring), roll in a towel, maybe roll in a towel again if it is still too damp, and then lay out the project on my laundry rack. If I need it dry in a hurry, I turn on a small, rotating floor fan. I've washed so much by hand for soooo long that if just is my norm to do that.

Archived