Advice on Baby Blanket please

JCB

Question

Hi...

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I haven't done much crocheting in a long time. I'd like to try this baby blanket: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

What is a good size for a baby blanket? Also.. does anyone know what size hook I should use for that pattern? I do tend to crochet loosely.

Also... this pattern is done using double strands of yarn. Would a variegated and pink (yup.. it's a girl) look OK? I was thinking about maybe adding a row of shells all the way around in just pink??? Any recommendations on good yarn brands to use? I guess some sort of washable acrylic should be good for baby stuff. (I hope to get something that Michael's carries... I'll have 2 40% off coupons :)

Thanks a bunch!

Joan

9 answers to this question

Joan,

I have never tried that pattern so I can't give you "tried &true" advise, but it seems pretty good to me! I think the pink & variegated would look sweet. I think the shells may get a little lost in such a thick blanket, maybe just a couple rows of single or half-double would be what I would do. As for the size, I have been on a SMALL kick latey. The past couple of blankets I have made have been just large enough for the baby in the carseat. Not too bulky for mom to carry and they are quick to just tuck in around the little one and off ya go! The moms have raved about how useful they have been. I don't measure, the blanket kinda just lets you know when it's done.

As for the hook size, I would suggest maybe starting with a "L" and see if that works for you. I like caron simply soft for baby blankets, but there are tons out there. Good Luck!! Let us see when you are done.

Lyn in NH

> What is a good size for a baby blanket?

i did 3 feet by 3 feet, plenty of wrapping room

> Also.. does anyone know what size hook I should use for that pattern? I > do tend to crochet loosely.

use whatever hook size you need to be able to easily grab the yarn, no bigger as you want a reasonably close "knit". if doing double strands probably somewhere between a 5mm and 6mm hook. Notice that the pattern is a multiple of 3 stitches plus one at the end of the row, so make your starting chain to desired length keeping this in mind.

> Also... this pattern is done using double strands of yarn. Would a

> variegated and pink (yup.. it's a girl) look OK?

why not!

> I was thinking about maybe adding a row of shells all the way around in

> just pink???

sounds nice, but i don't think it is really necessary.

> Any recommendations on good yarn brands to use? I guess some sort of > washable acrylic should be good for baby stuff. (I hope to get something > that Michael's carries... I'll have 2 40% off coupons :)

this i don't know about as we don't have michael's down under.

I did a variation on this (I didn't exactly do all three in each stitch... *ahem*) but did 2dc sc all the way across.

I did mine quite small, and did a set double stranded and one single stranded. I also repeated the same stitch around the outside in a contrasting color...

here are the single stranded ones, carseat size

th_carseatCLa.jpg

th_carseatCLdone.jpg

here's a picture of one of the double strandeds - I used the same variegated as the single stranded, but held it together with a strand of green. I'm going to put a white border around it the same as the others, just as soon as I get around to it!

th_carseat2b.jpg

I used Bernat Softee Baby for mine and it worked out to a nice weight, not too light but not too heavy. I think I used a K hook.

I think using a variegated and pink together with a pink shell edging would look great.

This is a pattern I wrote up. You can use any soft ww yarn or even baby weight yarn doubled.

This is a car seat/stroller size. You can easily make it bigger by changing the starting chain just make sure it's a multiple of 3 and add 1 for turning chain. Ex: 91=30 X 3 + 1. After the initial row, they all fall into place. This lays nicely and doesn't need an edging, but you could do a shell stitch around the edges. I did use an "N" hook (9 mm) for this. If you wanted to do a single strand, you could use a smaller hook, but then make sure your starting chain is wide enough. This is nice because it's cushy and nice and warm, but also can be used to lie the baby on.

I've used this pattern. It's very pretty made up. I used one strand of yarn, though -- don't need stuff too warm in Southern California!

There are advantages to both larger and small blankets. Things to think about when you're deciding on size:

If you make a small, heavy blanket, for instance, with two strands of worsted-weight yarn, it won't be easy to tuck or wrap around. A larger blanket will be easier to tuck or wrap if that's what's needed.

So, how do you think it will be used? And for how long? My grandkids are loving the larger blankets they received as infants, because they can use them when they watch TV, play or read, etc. They were burrito-wrapped in those blankies as babies.

Their blankets are about the width of a crib mattress, and about 2/3 as long as a crib mattress. (I'm at work, and don't have a crib to measure!)

As the mama of 3, it is my humble opinion that there is no such thing as too large when it comes to baby blankets. Most often, I make them roughly the size of a receiving blanket, because I find that size to be the most versatile. I've got more receiving blankets around here than I can count! I use them to cover Esther in the carseat, the swing, at restaurants. I swaddled the two older ones in them routinely. So I know that size is useful.

As far as the yarn to use, I am very partial to Red Heart's Baby Soft yarn. You can find it easily at either Michael's or Wal-Mart, and it is incredibly soft. I think varigated and pink would work well, but another thought if you want to use the Baby Soft is to use one strand "plain" and one strand of the pompadour (the kind with the satin thread running through it). That particular type of yarn does offer some that are exactly the same color in both the plain & the pompadour yarns. (I made my middle daughter a sweater striped in plain purple and pompadour purple; it's a very subtle effect.) Just a random thought, of course. :)

Hook size...Working with a double strand of sport yarn, I'd use an I hook. You might want to take the time to make swatches with various hook sizes & see what you like the best, though. Take into consideration what the weather is going to be like in your area the month the baby is born. I've seen some heavy blankets intended for summer babies, which makes no sense to me.

I personally wouldn't put a border on that blanket. Borders sure are cute, but IMO they limit at least somewhat the utility of the blanket. No baby really wants something fluffy near her face.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! And for the pictures! Hmmm.. pompadour yarn... I'll have to look for that.. sounds interesting.

The baby was born in November, and we're in New England so it's c-c-cold! I don't really know the family that well, but they were very nice to a friend of mine for several years, so I thought I'd do this for them. Right now I am 'crochet-hook challenged', but I ordered a complete set of 9 hooks on eBay.. hopefully they will be here soon. Don't remember how large they go, but at least I can do some swatches and see how it looks.

Thanks again!

Joan

P.S. To the moderator: sorry I messed up again and put this in the wrong place originally.

sorry im barely responding...but i just caught this thread!!

i made this blanket a few months ago for a newborn in my family...if you want my experience, i used 2 strands of redheart "soft baby", which is a sport weight. and the N hook. the pattern calls for worsted weight, so my blanket stitches came out a little bit looser than the pictures look like, but it was still totally baby worthy. i *think* i made it just a little bit larger than the pattern called for, but coming up with your starting chain isnt a problem. it came out a good baby size...you can wrap the baby in it if you wanted or double it to cover a carseat/stroller...but not too big to be a pain to travel with. i really liked this pattern, i think you will too...a good project to reaquaint yourself with crochet!!:manyheart

Archived