Chronicles of Narnia

Eugenie

In the first scene of the movie when the kids are being sent off to the country by train, Lucy is wearing a brown beret-like cap. It looks like its crocheted with a cool textured (3-D) stitch.

I don't know many stitches yet so I tried to find it in my Harmony guide. Maybe a "trinity stitch" or "crunch stitch." Or maybe it is something simpler but I have not seen a hat like that before.

Anyway, the costumes are great in the film - especially those of the witch! She's a bad a**!

This movie was mostly filmed in NZ and one of my Grandaughters had a bit part in the Railway Scenes at the beginning. The director is a New Zealander.

My DIL won 2 tickets so she took me to see the movie at a Special Preview before it was officially open in NZ and I really enjoyed it. I did not see my GD but maybe when the DVD come out, we may be able to find her. They cut her hair off to her shoulders and of course she was dressed in clothing of the 40s so I am not too hopeful.

I did notice the hats but did not really take in the stitch they were done in. If I see the movie again, I will take more notice.

This Grandaughter has gone to live in France so she might have to see the movie in French.

There are some books out about the making of the movie so I will have a look for the hat in those next time I am out shopping.

Have fun.

Colleen

Did any of you notice if the faun Tumnus' red scarf was knitted or crocheted?

It was very difficult to determine any stitches.

I loved the child actor who played Lucy, (the youngest sister). She was fabulous! It's refreshing to see a child actor who can actually act! :lol

Her scenes with Tumnus were awesome!

I couldn't tell about the scarf either but did notice that the girl is a fabulous actor! What a natural! Good flick! I'll have to see it again to get a closer look at the beret.

• 2 weeks later...

:cheer I went to see Narnia again today and took notice of Mr Tumnus's scarf.

It is knitted in Mohair using big needles and the stitch is K1, P1 on one row and Purl back on the other.

:think There was one part in the movie where there was a good close up of Mr Tumnus and they had the scarf inside out so you could see the Purl row quite clearly. When you saw him from the front, the scarf was up the right way again. The continuity person was obviously not a knitter or they would have noticed it.:think

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie all over again.

:hook The Beret that Lucy was wearing will take a bit more thinking about but it could be that the stitches were done between, not on top of the row below.

I will try a bit.

I would say that any dark drown Beret would look very similar if worn in the same way.

Have fun.

Colleen

• 4 weeks later...

My DH took me to see this movie last night. The first thing I noticed was that the Fawn was wearing a red scarf that appeared to be crocheted. He wore it for almost the entire movie and I couldn't take my eyes off it trying to figure out if it was a DC or what... At the end he got a velvety scarf instead...

The White Witch was great! I loved her costumes!!!

Oh, I couldn't believe this but my DH never read the books! I thought everyone had to read those in school! I remember they were some of my faves that I read and re-read several times. Anyone else never read the books?

:think Mr Tumnus's scarf is knitted in a broken rib.

The second time I saw the movie, I noticed that in one scene it was up the opposite way depending on which camera was on him, so you could see the other side.

It looks like it is in Mohair yarn and probably on large needles.

Cast on any number of stitches and work one row K1, P1 to the end. Next row, either all knit or all purl whichever you please. Repeat the 2 rows to the length you want.

Gives a nice plain scarf without the curling you get with stocking stitch or the pulling in you get with regular rib.

I agree that the White Witch was magnificent but then the whole movie was fabulous and very easy to sit through a second time. The last time I felt like that about a movie was in about 1965 with the Sound of Music which is still my all time favourite.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Did any of you notice if the faun Tumnus' red scarf was knitted or crocheted?

It was very difficult to determine any stitches.

I loved the child actor who played Lucy, (the youngest sister). She was fabulous! It's refreshing to see a child actor who can actually act! :lol

Her scenes with Tumnus were awesome!

I think that Tumnus's scarf was knitted. It could probably be done on the purple knifty knitter with the ribbed stitch in the second book.

christa

Archived