How can i crochet a streatchy waistband?

finbunny

Question

i make wool longies for cloth diapers and right now im just using a drawsting but i dont realy like it, my baby eats the strings and my toddlers pulls them out:eek

i would really like to know how to make a streatcy waistband that will work like a pull on-off pair of pants..

any tips?

Thanks,

irene:cheer

16 answers to this question

oh your a doll, i will try it with a g hook maybe and see if it hooks up tight enough!! thanks,

irene

so this is what i have been doing for the waistband....

row 1. sc in every chain (of the body)

row 2. DC in every chain of row 1

row 3. 2 dc hmmm.. i do a under and over thing and then 3 dc in just the back loops...

row 4. same as row 3

row 5. DC in every chain of row 4...

sorry i dont know really how to write it correctly i just learned to read crochet stuff so i mostly call my mom and say "this loop..hole...in the front..or back..":lol she understands me but sorry if i have it all wrong, this is still new to me..

ok so i have just been putting the drawstring in the loops of row4..

its not really streatcy but if i went every other one maybe it would help and maybe do like 7-8 row because its only like 1.5" with the 5 rows now..

thanks again for your help..

Would this work for the cuffs of socks to make them tighter??? I tend to crochet very loose and everytime I make a pair of socks, the cuffs are way too loose... Thanks...

well i have done a search and all i get is thread for magicians:lol so i dont think that will work..

how about if i use baby elasitic and just crochet it behind the ribbing? will i have to pull the elastic the entire time? hmmm. may work..

Ditto the ribbing. I would start with the waistband, crocheting sideways the length of the waistband, working through the back loops only. Then when the desired length (waist size) is acheived when slightly stretched, sew beg ch edge to last row. Work in the round from one side of the waistband.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Best regards,

Kristin

maybe the stitch where you crochet in the back way and alternate to give it a ripple effect . I'm not sure I am getting across what I am saying .

here is a piece of a pattern . :Ribbing Row 1: ch 3 (counts as 1 dc) dc in next 24 dc (25 dc) sl st In top of ch 3, DO NOT TURN. Rows 2 & 3:ch 3 *back post double crochet (BPDC) around next dc, front post double crochet (FPDC) around next dc, repeat from * around, sl st in top of ch 3.That is the begining to a pair of wrist warmers. on here: http://www.bellaonline.org/articles/art6061.asp

oh your a doll, i will try it with a g hook maybe and see if it hooks up tight enough!! thanks,

irene

They make elastic thread, maybe you could pair it with your yarn for the waistband. I do know there is "invisible" elastic thread available, but you may have to do some searching on the internet to find it. If you are buddies with the people at LYS they maybe able to assist you in finding it. Not sure that this will work, just an idea.

Would this work for the cuffs of socks to make them tighter??? I tend to crochet very loose and everytime I make a pair of socks, the cuffs are way too loose... Thanks...

maybe the stitch where you crochet in the back way and alternate to give it a ripple effect . I'm not sure I am getting across what I am saying .

here is a piece of a pattern . :Ribbing Row 1: ch 3 (counts as 1 dc) dc in next 24 dc (25 dc) sl st In top of ch 3, DO NOT TURN. Rows 2 & 3:ch 3 *back post double crochet (BPDC) around next dc, front post double crochet (FPDC) around next dc, repeat from * around, sl st in top of ch 3.That is the begining to a pair of wrist warmers. on here: http://www.bellaonline.org/articles/art6061.asp

thanks for all the help guys!

im not really sure what ribbing to try, im using a much smaller hook on the waistband but its not enough to stay in place (streatch wise)

im still new to this so i just do searches on crochet but havent found anything on a waistband...

but i will look at the other links,

oh and i live in finland so i dont have a Jo anns:eek so im basically doing everything from online help and online stores as well. other then some of my favorite finnish yarn..:cheer

They also sell buttonhole elastic (like they put in adjustable waist pants). I found it online at Nancy's Notions (http://www.nancysnotions.com) - I think I've seen it at my Joann, but I can't find it on their website.

What about threading the drawstring around the back, so you can still get to it, but they can't?

They make elastic thread, maybe you could pair it with your yarn for the waistband. I do know there is "invisible" elastic thread available, but you may have to do some searching on the internet to find it. If you are buddies with the people at LYS they maybe able to assist you in finding it. Not sure that this will work, just an idea.

im afaid i will make them to tight and then they wont fit on other peoples babies, i make them and sell them as well...

so if i did use elastic would i just make the rise higher fold it over and stitch it closed...hmmm

maybe i should try it.. my friend says she has just started using elastic and its trim but my baby has such a big tummy every time i have bought a pair of recycled soakers with elastic i had to fight to get them on...:angry

Archived