Heavy Crochet Hooks

Hi!

I'm new to crochet, and i've noticed that i like the feel of the larger heavier corchet hooks, like the K-N in metal. I want to move down in size, like G, but the packaged of hooks i just bought feel like their made of alumninum. Could anyone recommend a brand or type of crochet hook that still has the "heavy feel" to it but is a smaller size, like G?

Thanks

Omi

:hook

You might want to try Clover Soft Touch crochet hooks. They're designed to be comfortable to work with, thus the odd handle. I bought mine at a local Ben Franklin Crafts store; it cost $8 (but you must remember everything's more expensive in Hawaii). I honestly don't remember seeing them when I lived in Hampton Roads, but you might want to try The Hook and I; I seem to recall them carrying some crochet hooks. I know there's an AC Moore in that general area too, over by BJ's, but I don't know if they'd have them.

You can also find very nice handmade wooden hooks for sale online that will probably be heavier than the normal aluminum ones, but they tend to be quite expensive.

You can also find very nice handmade wooden hooks for sale online that will probably be heavier than the normal aluminum ones, but they tend to be quite expensive.

I've actually found the opposite to be true. The TOTC hook that a C'Ville fairy sent me (J) is considerably lighter than my aluminum J hook - I use it all the time because of that. Maybe other wood hooks are heavier but mine is not.

Faith is right, wooden hooks are definitely lighter than aluminum.

I don't know that I've ever seen a metal yarn hook made out of anything but aluminum, which is *supposed* to be light... there are the Bate's Silvalume, I don't know exactly what those are, but they didn't seem much heavier to me. I think the biggest steel hook is a size D in yarn hooks...

Glass hooks would be a good deal heavier, both in hand and on wallet, LOL...

i know that the Boye brand ones i bought are too light weight. i have heard of clover hooks (i plan to try those) and i know there are other brands out there, but sculpey sounds like a good idea, thanks.

Hi!

I'm new to crochet, and i've noticed that i like the feel of the larger heavier corchet hooks, like the K-N in metal. I want to move down in size, like G, but the packaged of hooks i just bought feel like their made of alumninum. Could anyone recommend a brand or type of crochet hook that still has the "heavy feel" to it but is a smaller size, like G?

Thanks

Omi

:hook

Natalie is right, but there is definately a difference in weight according to the wood species being used. The hooks i carve from bush maple, for example are a lot heavier than the same hook might be if carved from fir. Also the mass of the hook makes a difference. A lot of my hooks have more "meat" in the handle than at the hook end so the bulk of the weight is in the hand, and the tip is more easily manouvered..

Archived