Small Scissors Allowed on Planes

Sharp Objects May Be Allowed on Planes

Email this Story

Nov 30, 7:58 AM (ET)

p {margin:12px 0px 0px 0px;}

WASHINGTON (AP) - Airport security screeners are reportedly going to let passengers bring sharp objects on board airplanes again. Today's Washington Post says the Transportation Security Administration plans to announce security changes Friday.

Sources quoted by the paper say the new rules will allow things like scissors in carry-on bags. The reasoning is that such items are no longer regarded as the greatest threat to airline security. Homeland Security Department officials are said to be more concerned about preventing suicide bomb attacks at airports. Officials want screeners to focus more on finding things that can explode rather than things that are sharp.

The Post reports the newly relaxed rules would allow scissors under four inches long tools shorter than seven inches. TSA spokeswoman says the new initiatives will be positive for both security and customer service.

Crochet hooks have always been fine (as long as they don't have a sharp end, like the tiny steel ones), but knitting needles are a no-no. I flew up north last Christmas and again this summer and both times I brought a small pair of scissors with me. I never had one problem til coming back the last time in June. At the tiny airport where I started (then connecting at O'Hare) they took apart my whole bag and took out the scissors. (Kinda funny, I had 2 pair in there and they only found one! ROFL)

Anyway, I thought it odd that a huge hub like O'Hare wouldn't see my scissors but the little puddle jump airport did... I'm glad to know they won't take em from me anymore! LOL

Now that you can bring scissors, I'm sure knitting needles will be ok too...

I heard that this morning on the news. I think from what I heard that they are just considering it, but haven't made an official statement yet. Seems like they might be planning that for later this week to detail what items will/won't be allowed.

I just read that also. I hope that means that nail clippers are fine...I wished I could have taken mine along. What about crochet hooks? (Steel in particular, I'm a thread crocheter!)

i have always used nail clippers on a plane for crocheting and never had a problem. Never had them taken

I just read that also. I hope that means that nail clippers are fine...I wished I could have taken mine along. What about crochet hooks? (Steel in particular, I'm a thread crocheter!)

I've flown in the US several times with all of my crochet hooks. They weren't even questioned.:hook

I'm stuck on Grand Jury duty for 18 weeks (one day a week) I've been making good use of my time and getting a lot of crocheting done. This week I was working on the Baby It's Cold Outside sweater and brought a teeny tiny pair of kids safety scissors to cut my yarn with. You know the ones, the blade is about 2" long and the tips are completly rounded. The ones they let Kindergarten kids carry around. The ones where the most damage you could possibly do with them is cut someone's hair...

The security guard took them from me :bang

He also made me lift my pant legs to look at my socks, even though I had just walked through the metal detector, I assume just to be a tough guy (they xray bags, that's how they knew the scissors were there).

Next week I'll just put a yarn cutting pendant on my key chain, but it still annoyed me. I understand no potential wepons, and if these were big scissors or even pointy little scissors, I could see why they'd confiscate them. There is no way I could have hurt someone with these stupid little things. I could do more damage with my keys or a pen for goodness sake!

Holly the grumpy

Holly, I think that was a bit extreme for them to take those kiddie scissors from you. Let us know how you make out with the pendant.

Are you allowed to carry keys? If so, sometimes the shaft of one key can be slid against another key and will cut. Practice with it.

I had the courthouse take my crochet hooks from me (and thankfully just keep them in a cabinet until I left). I was so mad. They let me keep my pencil, which is far more dangerous. grr...

For thread and small yarn, I use a travel dental floss to cut my yarn. (I guess it's similar to the pendant, but the dental floss was laying around the house)

Now, I heard tonight on CNN radio news that knitting needles WOULD be allowed on planes under the new rules. (Yes, alot of us cabbies really are a bunch of nerds in diguise and actually listen to talk radio, we crochet steering wheel covers, and generally defy the stereotype of what a cabbie really is...)

I got a real kick out of Michael Savage the other night when he was encouraging cabbies to call in.

If knitting needles are allowed on a plane, then crochet hook HAVE to be allowed by proxy. (One would think?)

RIGHT???

Oh, yeah, crochet is dead, knitting is "in", according to FAA guidelines. We need to rally.

BTW, I like the yarn cutter pendant concept... it makes it really easy for me instead of carrying bulky scissors. I put mine on my keychain and no one knows the difference. (And if you don't work with yarn, you don't have a clue what it is.)

Um, I've *never* had a problem with my crochet hooks on an airplane. :)

(and I fly at least once a month - including a series of flights in Europe this past summer where they just inspected the case with all the small steel hooks, but that was right after the London bombings.)

Archived