Question About Copying a Finished Item

Bellisima

Question

I saw this way cute scarflette on Etsy & thought it would make really adorable Christmas gifts. I didn't buy the scarflette (I'm broker than a Chevy Nova up on blocks!) but from the photo figured out how it was made (pretty easy). I whipped a few during my lunch hour @ work (can I just tell you how CUTE they came out using Paton's Pooch??? Too cute!!! The name really fits!)...and now have people asking how much for one :think. I'm in a quandry because I don't want to steal someone else's design (I didn't do this from a pattern; I was merely inspired by her FO) but honestly, I could REALLY use the $$. I wouldnt be in direct competition with her (I'm not on Etsy; she lives in Oregon, I'm in Pennsylvania) & I wasn't planning on sharing/selling the pattern. What do you guys think?

8 answers to this question

If you just used the picture as inspiration and made up your own pattern, then it's yours!

Ditto that. She owns (if she designed it) the pattern she used, and the products she's made, but she doesn't own the idea. Designs made from a picture are still your designs.

Thanks everyone for your replies...as a courtesy I think I'll go w/what Natalee said & drop her a line (plus to tell her what a cool product she has) but I think I'll be making a few bucks at work on it. I'll post some pics as soon as I find the darn camera. Thank you again everyone!! :)

As the designer in question, I think it is refreshing that you even thought twice about it. Most would just go ahead and do whatever they wanted without taking my feelings into account. Thank you.

I don't really have a problem with what you want to do - everyone is right, you can't copyright an idea. I'm sure I'm not the first one to ever think of a scarflette and won't be the last.

I would be bothered, though, if you set up shop on Etsy and began selling them.

Personally, I wouldn't knowingly copy from someone and sell the items, but there's nothing illegal about doing so.

I'm glad you liked my items!

Archived