brown sugar bag...felted at last

gingerchai

well i finally decided to felt the bag last night. it's made with hand painted worsted weight wool bought on ebay from over the rainbow yarns (i think). for you techies i ran the bag through the first 30 minutes of the washcycle twice with the temperature set on 90 degrees celsius which is almost 200 degrees fahrenheit. really hot! i added a small amout of suave balsam shampoo to the wash. the colors of the prefelted bag are pretty accurate, but they faded and became pleasantly blurry after felting. the bag has a tiled texture, similar to that of a turtle shell. the finished bag sits on the pillow case cover it was felted in, which used to be white. guess that's it.

tracy

prefelt

PIC00008.jpg

prefelt

PIC00009.jpg

felted bag :D i'll try to take a better picture and post it.

PIC00019.jpg

Wonderful!!! I love it too. Like Julie though I want to know details girl!!! :D! I'm having a hard time seeing the numbers on your measuring tape, what are the before and after dimensions? And did you make any changes to the pattern? How loose was your gauge before felting? How much yarn did you use and are you planning on lining it?

~Rebecca

p.s. i'm aching to start on mine, my wool is crying from neglect!!:cry :cry

julie:

i used 600 yards of yarn and looking at the measurements it shrunk about 3 inches in height and width, but in person it looks like more than 3 inches. the strap might be about 6 inches or so shorter.

rebecca:

the only change i made in the pattern was to make is 16 squares across instead of twelve. i used an H hook and tried to stich loosely. of course i made the strap much longer and luckily the length came out just perfect. sorry i didn't write down the actual measurement. the fabric is very thick so its no necessary to line it.

hope i've answered all of the questions.

tracy:D

Sorry that I didn't comment sooner. I just got back from Barcelona yesterday and haven't had a chance to catch up on all the activity at Crochetville. With that being said, gingerbone, :day I'm so glad to see that someone has tried my pattern! I really like how the colors patterned themselves. Did you find the instructions hard to follow?

i used 600 yards of yarn and looking at the measurements it shrunk about 3 inches in height and width, but in person it looks like more than 3 inches. the strap might be about 6 inches or so shorter.

What were the measurements before you felted it?

• 1 month later...

pfirsch:

sorry i waited so long to post a reply to your questions about the measurements. it was probably about 16 inches in both height and width before i felted it. the strap did shrink a lot more than the bag itself, so i'd recomment making it long to compensate for the shrinkage.

have you had a chance to make the bag yet?

tracy

That's very pretty! I was intrigued to see how the handpainted yarn changed - it held plenty of color but changed in a nice way. Well done.

Archived