Unbelievable!

You are not going to believe this but my Dad and I went to a little yarn shop in Ormand Beach FL, where he picked out his favorite colors (red, blue, silver) and the yarn I needed to make him an afghan. He has some problem with his legs so he sat in a chair holding all the yarn while I looked around. The owner came into the yarn room and even commented on how good of a job he was doing! :lol

Anyway, we bought the yarn and went to Starbucks. My Dad starts scratching his arms and I said kiddingly, maybe you're allergic to the yarn you were holding. He looks down at his arms and there is this terrible rash on the insides of his arms. :eek We just looked at each other and started to laugh! I told him he can come to my house and visit his favorite 63-square afghan at anytime. :D

We were really surprised because he never had an allergy before. The yarn is 75% acrylic and 25% wool. He's not allergic to wool but his skin sure didn't like this yarn. :think

So... do you know what kind of yarn would NOT make my Dad breakout in a rash? :devil

maybe its not the yarn but the dye used in it that hes reacting to? If hes not allergic to wool maybe you could buy some pure wool in a natural color that he would like instead. Do you know anyone who spins their own? You could test him with different fibers and get someone to spin some for you. Goodluck.

It might be the chemicals that is in the yarn.. Maybe after washing the afghan once its made and have him holding it for awhile to see if he breaks out again, would let you know if its the chemicals that was used in the yarn or not..

Washing it might help .... It depends on what exactly he is allergic too.... I am not allergic to wool, but I am allergic to a lot of the chemicals that are used to treat the wool.... Sometimes a really good washing (or two) will make all the differance for me. And, then I'm fine with the wool... Though, sometimes the chemcials are just to inbeded in the wool, and refuse to come out.... Though, the washing makes it less ichy....

Also, was he holding any other yarns at the store ? It might be ones of the other yarns (not the ones you bought) that he was allergic to.... 'Cause if you're like me, you go though several diffenrt yarns before you find the right one. Also, it could have been someones purfume in the store.....

I know that clothes are sprayed with a fire retardant before going out on the floor, maybe yarn is too? I once had a horrible reaction to some pants that I wore before washing them. It was the fire retardant in the cloth. So washing could help.

Also, was he holding any other yarns at the store ? It might be ones of the other yarns (not the ones you bought) that he was allergic to.... 'Cause if you're like me, you go though several diffenrt yarns before you find the right one. Also, it could have been someones purfume in the store.....

He was sitting there selecting the colors he wanted. That was the only yarn he held. :blush

Boy, oh boy...what bad luck for your dad!

I think you're on the right track with the cotton chenille. Can you visit the yarn store with your dad and have him hold some of that against his arm?!

Archived