Best way to stiffen a basket

jstaff

Question

Hello! 

I made a small basket to go on a dresser and I'd like to stiffen it a bit since it is a bit flimsy. I used acrylic yarn. Can I starch it to stiffen it? I've seen conflicting information online. Any other options? 

Thinking the next basket I do I'll use different yarn. Would t shirt yarn be better? 

6 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, jstaff said:

Hello! 

I made a small basket to go on a dresser and I'd like to stiffen it a bit since it is a bit flimsy. I used acrylic yarn. Can I starch it to stiffen it? I've seen conflicting information online. Any other options? 

Thinking the next basket I do I'll use different yarn. Would t shirt yarn be better? 

I have used Mod Podge in the past.  You can get that at a craft store. Elmers glue and water mix would work also.

There is also ideas in this link.

https://www.thecreativefolk.com/make-crochet-basket-stiff/

Edited by Lacycrochet

Posted (edited)

I have not made one of these, but I've seen patterns where you crochet over a 'clothesline' (a small diameter rope), to make a sturdy functional basket.  My understanding is that this is an 'old-time' craft used to create functional (somewhat) weight bearing baskets.  So could probably  follow your basket pattern, but work your yarn around a clothesline as you go (the basket would be a bit bigger).  Here is a link if you are interested https://melaniekham.com/how-to-crochet-a-simple-basket/ .

I would think making it stiff in the first place would  work better than adding goop to it.  I've had 'meh' success with stiffening stuff, it works OK for something decorative like a relatively small snowflake tree ornament that is just made to 'sit there and look pretty' but I seriously doubt it would hold up well if you actually used it to make a functional basket.

Edited by Granny Square

You could use floral wire with fabric and weave it on the inside walls of the basket, every other row. Place the wire inside the stitches and it wouldn't be visible. Most craft stores carry it in different gauges and colors.

Well, duh, I should have thought of the plastic canvas; I used that to stiffen the hook-holder (sort of a book format, you open the 'book' and inside the cover are slotted pockets that hold the hooks), and it works great. 

Thank you all! I'll probably try the plastic canvas first and see how that comes out. If that doesn't work, I'll try the floral wire/clothesline and the glue.