Picots.

Horsy

Question

Hi.  I have instrs for a real simple snowflake.  They don't specify what kind of picot we should make in the space, i.e., 2 ch, 3 ch, 4 ch, etc.  This is to form the 6 tips of the snowflakes.  I guess it doesn't really matter that much, but I thought I would ask anyway.  Thanx.  

6 answers to this question

Is the pattern online somewhere, maybe if we could see what the end result looks like we could make an educated guess (hmm, that looks like x chains to me...)? for example. 

Is there perchance a 'special stitches' section in your pattern, usually this comes before the pattern starts, but I've seen it at the end too.

For a simple, single picot at a doily edge I think 3 chains is pretty typical, but snowflakes' pointy parts could be much bigger and more complex.

Or, experiment; try 3 chains, go a little past that point and see what you think; if you think it should be bigger to match the pattern photo, rip back and try 4 chains, etc.  My answer might be different than yours on the same pattern if our chain gauges are different (I know my chains are sort of loose...)

Edited by Granny Square

SNOWFLAKE # 2

Round 1: make a magic ring, ch-2 (count as a dc), dc into the circle, ch-6, * 2 dc into the circle, ch-6 **, repeat from * to ** 4 times, join with sl st to top of ch-2

Round 2: * 3 sc in next ch-6 space, picot, 3 sc in same space, sl st in the place between 2 dc **, repeat from * to ** 5 times, join with sl st to the 1st st

https://****/crochet-snowflakes-free-patterns/

Looks like she did 3 chains, for her picot, so that is what I did too.    The result was OK in my project (2 strands of #10 metallic thread with a 3.75mm hook) but while it is not that important, it looks less like a snowflake than any other crocheted "snowflake" I've ever seen.  More like a flower.   After blocking it will look nice, I'm sure, and worthy of hanging from the ceiling or the tree. 

Upward & onward to something more like many other snowflake patterns.  Thanks for your advice!  ☺️

Edited by Horsy

I have a bunch of booklets of just snowflake patterns. Most have ch 5 (6) picot at the end of each "arm" and it's pinned when starching. It depends how lose/tight you're ch is. I haven't made snowflakes in years, I'm not even sure where the books are.

Ellie 13

@Ellie 13.  I sure wish I had those booklets, (I lose track of my books & booklets, too), as there must be something in there for the likes of me;  I have found the Snowcatcher snowflake patterns (graciously provided to me by ReniC) to be challenging; I can't do anything which is not really simple, I seem unable to get the "arms" of the snowflakes right; they are uneven and cockeyed.  So, I resorted to much easier patterns.  I've done 29 so far, all different in one way or another - size/yarn-thread/colour/glittery or not/1 or 2 strands etc.  

Edited by Horsy

Wow, "29 so far", that's pretty ambitious!   And I agree, the Snowcatcher patterns are beautiful but maybe not the easiest.

Could you post a photo of one that you consider uneven and cockeyed?  We may be able to spot something and give a specific tip or 2.    

One thing that occurs  to me is that you mentioned you'd been using yarn for snowflakes in your other thread.  If you still are, I think that your medium is possibly at least a small part of the problem, but keep in mind while I've gone through miles of yarn over the years, I'm mostly a 'thready' and am coming at this from that point of view.

IMO you need a snowflake to be stiff and hold its shape almost by itself before adding stiffener.  This is why most snowflake patterns tell you to work with relatively stiff doily thread and a tiny steel hook, the snowflake will keep its shape lying flat but will need stiffening help if you want to hang it.  If you are using, for example, Red Heart Super Saver or similar yarn, for a snowflake you probably want to use something like a US C hook, and focus on working tightly.

"For science", I just grabbed some RHSS and a C hook and made some loopy forms like a snowflake might have--yes it's possible to work with that small a hook; actually I also grabbed a B hook after typing that, that size is about as small as I'd like to work with with that size yarn, but it's still possible.