Help with pattern for cotton bag

jstaff

Question

9 answers to this question

You will not start going up for the sides until you quit making increases.  Increases were still being made on round 26 so still working on bottom. Instructions say work round 27 over and over until you have 4 inches going up for the sides. It also says you can work it more than 4 inches if you want a taller bag.   When you make a circle or oval the sides will curl up when you work rounds with no increases.  It may take a few rounds before you can see it happening.

Edited by bgs

2 hours ago, bgs said:

You will not start going up for the sides until you quit making increases.  Increases were still being made on round 26 so still working on bottom. Instructions say work round 27 over and over until you have 4 inches going up for the sides. It also says you can work it more than 4 inches if you want a taller bag.   When you make a circle or oval the sides will curl up when you work rounds with no increases.  It may take a few rounds before you can see it happening.

Thank you for the information. Just finished 7 rounds repeating row 27. Still don't see a difference and there is no curling that I can see. 

Edited by jstaff

I think that pattern is what inspired my bag 2 years ago. (it was a Red Heart pattern...pretty sure) I made mine smaller, but looks like I followed that stitch pattern.

I can't remember did it call for doubling of yarn?  If your count was correct for original increases(bottom) and you keep repeating row 27, eventually it'll cup.  That's alotta stitches! round and round.  bwg

I agree with Bgs and NCcountrygal, if you stop increasing it WILL stop being a flat circle (edited--oval) and will start 'cupping' and start looking like a bag shape. 

The pattern tells you how many stitches you should have after each round, and it looks like it stops increasing after 156 stitches and 'works even' (stops increasing) after that--do you have that number of stitches now, several rounds later, or did you by chance increase  inadvertently (not the strangest thing to happen working in the round)?  It's always a good idea to mark the first (or last) stitch of your round, and move the marker up each round to keep your place, I do this (most of) the time and have been crocheting for decades.  

Stop and count your stitches, I know it is a pain but a necessary evil in crochet, but it saves time to find out you've made a mistake early and can rip it out, rather than discovering it later and ripping out more of your work.  You may be increasing accidently for example, which is going to keep it flat or flatter than it's supposed to be. 

Edited by Granny Square
edited for clarity and brevity

As Granny Square pointed out it is really easy working in rounds to inadvertantly increase by at least 1.  When you do a slip stitch join on one round by the time you get back to it working the next round its easy to accidentally work into it which causes an increase.  Thats why its good to put a stitch marker in it so you know not to work into it. And as Granny Square said as big of a pain as it seems counting is actually your friend.  The earlier you catch where you are off the fewer stitches you have to pull out and redo.

10 hours ago, NCcountrygal said:

I think that pattern is what inspired my bag 2 years ago. (it was a Red Heart pattern...pretty sure) I made mine smaller, but looks like I followed that stitch pattern.

I can't remember did it call for doubling of yarn?  If your count was correct for original increases(bottom) and you keep repeating row 27, eventually it'll cup.  That's alotta stitches! round and round.  bwg

I got this pattern of premier yarns website. This pattern i don't think doubles the yarn.

8 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I agree with Bgs and NCcountrygal, if you stop increasing it WILL stop being a flat circle (edited--oval) and will start 'cupping' and start looking like a bag shape. 

The pattern tells you how many stitches you should have after each round, and it looks like it stops increasing after 156 stitches and 'works even' (stops increasing) after that--do you have that number of stitches now, several rounds later, or did you by chance increase  inadvertently (not the strangest thing to happen working in the round)?  It's always a good idea to mark the first (or last) stitch of your round, and move the marker up each round to keep your place, I do this (most of) the time and have been crocheting for decades.  

Stop and count your stitches, I know it is a pain but a necessary evil in crochet, but it saves time to find out you've made a mistake early and can rip it out, rather than discovering it later and ripping out more of your work.  You may be increasing accidently for example, which is going to keep it flat or flatter than it's supposed to be. 

Just double checked and have 156 stitches.