Crocheting ideas for the theme “Up, Up, and Away!”

Kayla Jackson

Question

I usually enter a blanket in my state fair each year, and this year I need some ideas, because they’re having a theme for entries this year. You don’t have to meet the theme but they have a special category in each section for stuff that fits the theme, and if your item meets the theme you can enter the theme category plus the one it would normally be in. Then they’ll pick the best item that meets the theme and award a special prize. This year’s theme is “up, up, and away”. What do you think I should make?

I did have some ideas, and added pictures. I also thought if I did the blue bobble/rainbow one I could add little balloon appliqués on the blue part, or do the rainbow part blue and then add appliqué hot air balloons there. Or I thought maybe a white bobble blanket would be like a cloud.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

IMG_6651.jpeg

IMG_6675.jpeg

IMG_6674.jpeg

IMG_6669.jpeg

IMG_6673.jpeg

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Well, anyone of my generation would think of hot-air balloons (from the 5th Dimension song) so I don't think you could go wrong there, unless all the other entrants have the same idea and the judges are looking for something different.  I rather like the filet version myself; I personally wouldn't choose the toy balloons or the clouds and stripes for this theme, although they are cute. 

Maybe use the filet blanket pattern but ditch the open meshes and instead colorize it using the same filet pattern (in other words, use the shapes but without the holes)?  That would be easy to graph out.

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Well, anyone of my generation would think of hot-air balloons (from the 5th Dimension song) so I don't think you could go wrong there, unless all the other entrants have the same idea and the judges are looking for something different.  I rather like the filet version myself; I personally wouldn't choose the toy balloons or the clouds and stripes for this theme, although they are cute. 

Maybe use the filet blanket pattern but ditch the open meshes and instead colorize it using the same filet pattern (in other words, use the shapes but without the holes)?  That would be easy to graph out.

Seriously, lol.  You are bringing us old timers song into the mix.  Hot Air Balloon.  Thanks Granny for taking me down that rabbit hole with you. lol  Good song I have to admit.

Edited by Lacycrochet

Now I can't get that song out of my head! LOL

Here's a video pattern for a 3d hanging balloon similar to the flat one you showed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Reni, your link didn't connect to the video for some reason. 

I'm sorry. Now I can't find the link.

Here's a different pattern.

Edited by ReniC

Are you still looking for ideas? I'm not sure if this counts a blanket or not. But if you want something different try blankets with a snuggle sack for baby at the bottom (I saw some at a craft fair years. ago). You could make a hot air balloon with the basket as the sack. Almost like a crochet sleeping bag. 

Ellie 13