give aways crochet hooks

penny lee

Question

4 answers to this question

Possibly, if it's a brand that I've already used and I know I like it 5 stars worth. I've bought hooks that I really don't like and don't use. Sometimes that's just personal preference rather than a real flaw in the hook. But I wouldn't want to mislead someone else to buy a hook that I don't think deserves 5 stars.

• Like 3

I agree with greyhoundgrandma.  It would have to be 5 star worthy to give a 5 star review.  I would never give an inflated review just to receive a free product, no matter what it was.

• Like 1

I am not one that gives online reviews of products, period.  But I'd be tempted to give a zero star review and report that the seller was trying to bribe reviewers.

And like greyhoudgrandma said, unless the hook was actually poorly made (rough surface or mismarked for example), a lot of hook 'quality definition' is personal preference.  I find inline hooks unusable and would never buy one; this does not make inline hooks poor quality, it's just that my muscle memory works better/more efficiently with tapered hooks.  The other half of the crocheting population that prefer inline hooks would probably say the same thing in reverse.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

From the perspective of reading reviews it matters to me more what people say than how many stars they give when it comes to something like hooks.  Hooks are really individual a brand that I love and works for me might be a brand someone else hates thus the difference in stars.

However sometimes there are hooks or other craft/art supplies that people make specific comments about that I do listen to like breaks easily, handle isn't smooth, hook end catches yarn.  I read lots of comments about coloring supplies when I took up coloring over the summer.  I wasn't as interested in the stars as what people liked or didn't like as people again liked the coloring supplies or not for different reasons than I did and their comments were far more helpful in making my choices than the stars. 

I do wonder at a company/brand that insists on 5 star reviews.  When I have been asked to review something in return for a product, we got some dog stuff years ago, I was not given any directions about how many stars or what to say.  Perhaps they would have deleted what I wrote if it wasn't what they wanted but I asked to participate because these were products I knew we'd use for the dogs so getting free stuff for a fair review seemed a good deal for us and the person offering the product.

• Like 2