Unfolding crocheting

peaches1

Question

11 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, peaches1 said:

Never seen this terminology before, can anyone help? The row is ;

8ch, unfold the crocheting from 7 sts, crochet 6sc, in the first stitch 3sc, unfold the crocheting and crochet 6 sc, in the last stitch 3sc.

Welcome to crochetville.

I have seen this once, it is not a common terminology.  I believe it is post stitches, not sure if it is back post or front post.  Is there a legend along the side to explain what it is.  Most well written patterns have a description of the stitches.  What are you making?

Edited by Lacycrochet

Wow! I wonder if the pattern writer is not a native English speaker and their not-English term for 'post stitches' uses a word (maybe something like 'overlap') that google-translated in their language to 'fold' in ours.  

Peaches1, one thing I learned to do when I was stuck on a pattern as a new crocheter before the internet if I was insure of a pattern instruction, is to study the pattern photo in that spot.  If post stitches are forming an overlay pattern on the fabric, this might have answered your question (not that we mind answering questions and meeting new people, it's just something that might prevent future head-scratching!)  

• Like 1

After looking at the pattern photos "Lilo & Stitch Amigurumi", in the section for the ears line 1, it may mean to count that many stitches over before making another stitch. Just guessing here. See what you think.

If you look at the photo (from link ReniC posted) the ears are an oval shape.

"From the pattern 8ch, unfold the crocheting from 7 sts, crochet 6sc, in the first stitch 3sc, unfold the crocheting and crochet 6 sc, in the last stitch 3sc."

Studying the photo this is what it looks like to me.  I pulled hook and yarn and did the following.  The next round seemed to work into it.  I also think it is worked as a continuous spiral instead of joining each round and chaining up.

ch 8, sc in second ch from hook, sc into next 6 chains, 3 sc into last chain.  Now working other side of chain sc into next 6 chains, work 2 sc into the end ( this will make 3 sc total in end as you worked your first sc)

https://www.ehow.com/how_2093630_crochet-basic-oval-shape.html

It seems like the pattern is asking you to "unfold" the crocheting from 7 stitches, which means you should be unraveling or undoing the work you've already done for those stitches. Then, you'll need to crochet 6 single crochets (sc) in the same row, and in the first and last stitches of that row, you'll need to crochet 3 sc each. It may sound a bit confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it should be pretty straightforward.

4 hours ago, blanketmakingwoahman5 said:

It seems like the pattern is asking you to "unfold" the crocheting from 7 stitches, which means you should be unraveling or undoing the work you've already done for those stitches. Then, you'll need to crochet 6 single crochets (sc) in the same row, and in the first and last stitches of that row, you'll need to crochet 3 sc each. It may sound a bit confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it should be pretty straightforward.

Designer's native language appears to be Russian and patterns dont always translate well.  It starts you with 8 chains then says to unfold the crocheting from 7 stitches so there is nothing at this point to pull apart except your chains.  If you look at the photo of the pattern it shows all the pieces and the ears are ovals.

• Like 1

Bgs, I think you are on to something--I totally missed the obvious oval construction (increases on each end, and the number of stitches created over a short chain, 18 stitches into 8 chains).  I can totally see how the word 'fold' makes sense, not literally folding, but working back the way you came using the unused 'under-loops' of the chain to form an oval is a lot closer to the concept of folding than post stitches or ripping stitches you just made.  The 3 stitches into 1 at each end, to turn the corner of the oval, pretty much confirms that this has to be 'it'.

Ripping out stitches you just made seems unlikely, there is no difference between that, and just not making them in the first place.

• Like 1

Granny Square I went to the pattern that ReniC linked to and it is the pattern being used.  I studied the pattern AND the photos.  There is a photo of all the pieces laying there before assembled.  The ears at that point are ovals. 

Bgs, a picture really is worth 1000 words as they say, and as you just proved.

My first answer (look at the pattern photo, what does it look like in that spot--does it look like post stitches as Lacycrochet suggested?) was before Reni posted a link to the Lilo and Stitch pattern (which, the OP never mentioned)??  Unless I missed an edit somewhere.

You are correct there was no mention of Lilo and Stitch until Reni posted.  In this case Googling the row given us brings up the pattern----wording was total match.  Then I could see this was the beginning instructions for the ear but the photo of the pieces laying there before assembly is what made it obvious to me. From there I went to designers other sites and translator came up to translate from Russian to English.