Boarder on a blanket

granny15

Question

4 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, granny15 said:

I know there is a tool that will punch holes, not cut holes, in fabric so you can crochet a nice boarder around flannel for a baby blanket. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Hello and welcome to Crochetville,

It is called a tapered awl for fabric.  Most fabric stores have them, even Amazon and the craft stores have them.

I imagine a large tapestry needle or steel crochet hook, which you might already have on hand, would work as well.

An alternate thought - If I were to make a crochet border around a flannel baby blanket, I'd first hem the blanket all around (in sewing thread; you might think about fleece rather than flannel, then you wouldn't need to hem it first).  Then I'd embroider a blanket stitch around the blanket using the yarn I was  going to to crochet with, so you wouldn't need an awl at all, just a sewing needle that suited the size of your yarn.  You'd have to cut the yarn to embroider with it, but it would be easy to join the ends with a Russian join or Braided join technique and then carry on working the crochet around the spans made by the blanket stitches.

edited to add link to video on how to embroider blanket stitches; this appears to be done on fleece, so it skips the step of hemming the fabric first.

Edited by Granny Square

Ha! Years ago I used to hem the fabric first then measure and draw dots on the fabric, then use an ice pick to make the holes for crocheting into. Worked every time. LOL

Edited by ReniC

Used to be something called an edgerydoo that I think was basically an awl that came with templates.  Its been discontinued for some time now.

I use my old  compass I had to have for school-- remember that thing  you used to draw circles that had the pencil clamped on one end and then had the pointy end.

• Like 1