Raffia handbag pattern or tutorial/how to

THBL

Question

Hi all,

Few weeks go I saw this raffia handbag/ purse and fell in love with. Since it has a 4 figure pricetag, I had the crazy idea to try and recreate.

I did some googling and think it’s a harlequin stitch. However I’m searching for someone who is willing to help me with an actual pattern or how to.

Any help or idea’s are very welcome!

60A0B692-FF45-4A62-ACAA-D4886A7AF68A.jpeg

7 answers to this question

I think this very item is probably not actually crochet, but it could be more or less imitated using crochet.  I was going to suggest a 'Catherine Wheel' pattern, which is like making 1 row with upside down shells, followed by a row of right side up shells.  I'm not familiar with the Harlequin stitch but knowing what a harlequin pattern looks like in general, it's probably another name for the Catherine Wheel, so you have more search possibilities.  There is sort of an extra long 'stem' that isn't part of this pattern, but it could probably be embroidered on after the fact; it doesn't look like it's coming from the center like the other stitches.

As far as the structure of the purse, the flap, back, underside and front is probably 1 rectangle, and the sides 2 other rectangles, edged in US SC and seamed together.

• Like 1

I know it's been months, but I'm just adding this for whoever else is thinking of working with rafia. Remember to take long breaks and don't work on it too long. Let's all protect our wrists, people! 
image.thumb.jpeg.c57ba01741c952640d7889498dd94990.jpeg

• Like 1