Challenging doily by Julie Hart and Draiguna

Lacycrochet

I thought the threadies in the forum might like a challenging doily pattern.  My avatar is actually the first three parts to this doily and now she has added four more parts (7 total).  I might at some point complete the last four, providing I can still find the green colours I did mine in.  The link says part six but the seventh part is there also.

https://www.draiguna.com/2022/09/arcanoweave-part-6.html

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, I've been eyeing that one...I made her Sweetheart Soiree a while back.  Hmm.... (edit) now I realize I 'favorited' several of her similar patterns with the same purple color scheme!

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Thanks for the link, I've been eyeing that one...I made her Sweetheart Soiree a while back.  Hmm.... (edit) now I realize I 'favorited' several of her similar patterns with the same purple color scheme!

I like Julie Hart designs.  I am doing her Leilani doily pattern now.  She is the queen of FP and BP stitches, nothing like doing acrobats with a hook.  By the end of them you have to pop an advil.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I have the Sweetheart on my do list.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacycrochet said:

I thought the threadies in the forum might like a challenging doily pattern.  My avatar is actually the first three parts to this doily and now she has added four more parts (7 total).  I might at some point complete the last four, providing I can still find the green colours I did mine in.  The link says part six but the seventh part is there also.

It looks intensive. 
This wispweave doesn’t seem as challenging. So pretty. Wall worthy. 
https://www.draiguna.com/p/wispweave-patterns.html?m=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Those wispweave patterns are cool, and don't appear to be that many rounds.  It would be a way for someone to stick their toe in the 'dimensional doily water' so to speak.

This designer loves complicated rounds, she is challenging and I totally recommend her patterns to anyone who loves thread.  Stick your toe in, you won't be disappointed. My DH and I discussed today about extending my original first three rounds into the completed seven rounds, I am going to make it into a framed art when finished.

Edited by Lacycrochet

On 1/27/2023 at 8:24 AM, Lacycrochet said:

OMG that is so pretty! I don't know how I missed this pattern as I check on her site once in a while. I saved the link and hopefully I can get through my WIP's to make it for one of the DD's. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, Lacycrochet said:

I shared this with the spouse and guess who is working on part one right now. This man I swear...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YarnyBoy said:

I shared this with the spouse and guess who is working on part one right now. This man I swear...

Yay, can't wait to see the finished product.  What colours did he decide to go with?

9 hours ago, Lacycrochet said:

Yay, can't wait to see the finished product.  What colours did he decide to go with?

He is using a cake of shawl in a ball. So it's going to shift. Pinks and greens.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how well Shawl In A Ball is going to work for a doily.  I used it for a short shoulder warmer / poncho thing that I designed.  Because it was variegated, even  with the long color changes, I used a very plain stitch - was all V stitches (I didn't want to use an entirely solid stitch pattern because I wasn't sure how far the ball would go).  

Variegated yarn or thread works better in a design in a plain stitch pattern, not a complex lacy doily like this.  For another, I thought the yarn texture of this particular yarn was weird - was a slubby thick and thin mixture, which is likely to interfere with the delicate appearance of the lace, and probably also with the designed texture of the doily.  And for for a third - a design as wonderful and complex as Arcanoweave deserves solid color thread that will let the pattern stand out.  The pattern photo has clearly delineated solid color stripes, which is a whole different thing and enhances the pattern. 

Spouse is likely to need more than 1 cake, this pattern is written for yarn in US thickness class #4, same as Red Heart Super Saver, but the doily is designed for US size class 1 thread, and a 1.75mm hook (way too small for the Shawl in a Ball).  Not sure how to calculate how many yards you will need.

I really, really think your spouse would be happier with the result using solid color(s), uniform textured mercerized thread for this project.  The original, with tiny thread and tiny hook, is supposed to end up at 32". (!!)  With, say US medium weight yarn and a hook appropriate  for that weight yarn, you'll end up with fair sized rug.  You can't use the yardage required for a pattern written for thread and tiny hook, if you intend to make it with much thicker yarn and hook and an exponentially larger number of yards.  

Did Spouse notice that this is 96 rounds?  Tell Spouse to measure the height of one of his DC stitches.  I just measured one of mine from the 'coming home' shawl I made years ago and happens to be in a handy closet, it's about 2 cm (I'm in the US but metric is so much easier to work with).  96 rounds x 2 cm = 192 cm, or 75.6 inches (over 6 feet.  Now, there appear to be a mix of stitch heights going on; just looking at the photo, maybe about half of the rounds are SC?  So, let's say half of 96, which is 48, are SC, so 1 cm, and half are DC @ 2 cm.  I think if I take the 75.6 inches and multiply by .75, I should arrive at the rough diameter, which is 56 inches.  Check my math, maybe not a rug but that is at least sofa afghan size, not doily size.  And, I make slightly shorter stitches than average (according to designer gauges on patterns I've worked), so Spouse's might end up a bit bigger.

Spouse is going to need to do some swatching, rip it out and measure the yardage used to see how much yarn makes x inches of fabric, and figure out how many skeins of the shawl in a ball he'll need.  Or maybe just try to make the first inner portion of the doily, since it's written in stages.

I'm not trying to discourage Spouse by any means, I just want to show him what he's getting into, since (I think?) I recall you saying he was new at this.  One nice thing about this pattern is it is broken into logical sections, so he could stop short of the 96 rounds at a point which wouldn't look odd.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I'm not sure how well Shawl In A Ball is going to work for a doily.  I used it for a short shoulder warmer / poncho thing that I designed.  Because it was variegated, even  with the long color changes, I used a very plain stitch - was all V stitches (I didn't want to use an entirely solid stitch pattern because I wasn't sure how far the ball would go).  

Variegated yarn or thread works better in a design in a plain stitch pattern, not a complex lacy doily like this.  For another, I thought the yarn texture of this particular yarn was weird - was a slubby thick and thin mixture, which is likely to interfere with the delicate appearance of the lace, and probably also with the designed texture of the doily.  And for for a third - a design as wonderful and complex as Arcanoweave deserves solid color thread that will let the pattern stand out.  The pattern photo has clearly delineated solid color stripes, which is a whole different thing and enhances the pattern. 

Spouse is likely to need more than 1 cake, this pattern is written for yarn in US thickness class #4, same as Red Heart Super Saver, but the doily is designed for US size class 1 thread, and a 1.75mm hook (way too small for the Shawl in a Ball).  Not sure how to calculate how many yards you will need.

I really, really think your spouse would be happier with the result using solid color(s), uniform textured mercerized thread for this project.  The original, with tiny thread and tiny hook, is supposed to end up at 32". (!!)  With, say US medium weight yarn and a hook appropriate  for that weight yarn, you'll end up with fair sized rug.  You can't use the yardage required for a pattern written for thread and tiny hook, if you intend to make it with much thicker yarn and hook and an exponentially larger number of yards.  

Did Spouse notice that this is 96 rounds?  Tell Spouse to measure the height of one of his DC stitches.  I just measured one of mine from the 'coming home' shawl I made years ago and happens to be in a handy closet, it's about 2 cm (I'm in the US but metric is so much easier to work with).  96 rounds x 2 cm = 192 cm, or 75.6 inches (over 6 feet.  Now, there appear to be a mix of stitch heights going on; just looking at the photo, maybe about half of the rounds are SC?  So, let's say half of 96, which is 48, are SC, so 1 cm, and half are DC @ 2 cm.  I think if I take the 75.6 inches and multiply by .75, I should arrive at the rough diameter, which is 56 inches.  Check my math, maybe not a rug but that is at least sofa afghan size, not doily size.  And, I make slightly shorter stitches than average (according to designer gauges on patterns I've worked), so Spouse's might end up a bit bigger.

Spouse is going to need to do some swatching, rip it out and measure the yardage used to see how much yarn makes x inches of fabric, and figure out how many skeins of the shawl in a ball he'll need.  Or maybe just try to make the first inner portion of the doily, since it's written in stages.

I'm not trying to discourage Spouse by any means, I just want to show him what he's getting into, since (I think?) I recall you saying he was new at this.  One nice thing about this pattern is it is broken into logical sections, so he could stop short of the 96 rounds at a point which wouldn't look odd.

Thanks for this! I will pass this along to him.