Beanie Pattern Help!

rach_hardee16

Question

Good Evening! I am a recent beginner to crochet and I am struggling translating some pattern terms and steps. I am following the "Jenna Beanie" pattern from CrochetzDreams, if anyone wants to look it up. Super cute! I was hoping to get some help regarding a couple of the steps. 

First, the pattern states "ch 2 (counts as a dc)". I have also recently read another pattern states "ch. 3 (counts as a dc)". I am a little confused on how a chain can end up counting as a decrease as you are creating new stitches when you do that instead of reducing the amount of stitches. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Second, the pattern state “(1 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) all into the same st as beginning ch-2,…” it was my understanding that a chain is not made into another stitch. So after I finished my round one, I chained 2 (not connected to the previous sc sts from round 1) but then I am not sure how to put all of the stitches into the same stitch as beginning ch 2. 

I have attached a photo of where I am at in this beanie if that helps at all. I would appreciate any help you guys can provide!

jennabeanie.jpeg

4 answers to this question

First, the pattern states "ch 2 (counts as a dc)". I have also recently read another pattern states "ch. 3 (counts as a dc)". I am a little confused on how a chain can end up counting as a decrease as you are creating new stitches

Some designers prefer ch 2 and others ch 3.  Do what the pattern you are using says.  When you have more experience do whichever you like the best.

I do not understand where you are getting a decrease as both say counts as stitch which is more the norm.  Some patterns will say do not count as stitch.  Its designers choice and they made that decision because they liked the way it looked.

This is has helpful info here on turning chains.

https://www.edieeckman.com/2019/08/28/where-to-put-the-first-stitch-of-a-crochet-row/

(1 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) all into the same st as beginning ch-2,…

You have ch which would be your turning chain, make 1 dc in stitch that your turning chain is in (the above link explains what this is, normally when making dc you would not have worked in this stitch).  At this point make 2 chains and now sc into the same place you made the dc 

• Like 1

I appreciate all of your help! Brenda, your answer was super helpful and I appreciate you helping me decipher the pattern. NCcountrygal, I totally overlooked the video attached! Thank you for bringing it to my attention! Granny Square, I was misreading "dc" for "dec", I appreciate your comment and help on this!

• Like 1