I'm creating a crotchet ball for a kitten pattern and the stitches haven't added up what am I doing wrong

loopylooper

Question

I'm using a slightly bigger yarn (aran) and 4mm crochet hook where as the patturn calls for dk yarn with a 2.5 crochet hook I'm at the end of making the head and I have found that the pattern Is calling me to stuff the head but it is still quite wide  so I have added around 29 extra stitches on the second to last row. The last row is calling me to always crochet tog 2st= 6 but with out the added stitches I have done it will not close up what have I done wrong? Does using a thicker yarn/ hook make any difference?

Edited by loopylooper

8 answers to this question

Here is another article about using same pattern but using different weights of yarn.  

https://kristitullus.com/blogs/news/one-pattern-different-yarns

So what exactly do you mean by "the stitches havent added up"?  Does the pattern give you the stitch count for each row or round and are you making sure that you made the correct number of stitches before moving on to next row or round?  

A thicker yarn should have no difference whatsoever in a ball shape, you should just end up with a bigger ball - but with the caveat that the hook you use, and your personal stitch tension (loose, tight, tall, short) makes a closed-enough fabric to stuff.

If the head is 'too wide to stuff', unless I'm imagining this wrong, the logical thing would, or might be to reduce stitches not add stitches.  However, it is a bad idea to go of and do something on a whim without studying the pattern photo carefully, and reading through the entire pattern before you do so you understand its construction (this is always a good idea, for any pattern, but especially a toy or a wearable).

The pattern may be telling you to stuff the head now, because if you go further it might be harder to 'get at' to stuff properly.  Usually something with a head also has a neck, where the opening for the head is 'neck sized'.

Is the pattern, or a photo of the end item, on the internet somewhere?  I'm making guesses based on my experience, but seeing a photo might help explain things better.

3 hours ago, bgs said:

Here is another article about using same pattern but using different weights of yarn.  

https://kristitullus.com/blogs/news/one-pattern-different-yarns

So what exactly do you mean by "the stitches havent added up"?  Does the pattern give you the stitch count for each row or round and are you making sure that you made the correct number of stitches before moving on to next row or round?  

It was alright until I started decreasing  I think I may have missed a increase row as I picked up where I left off and couldn't remember where I started. Yes the pattern does give a stich count but im also not sure if the stich markers should be the same level each time as I do use stitch markers.i do make sure but I think that was what the problem was

30 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

A thicker yarn should have no difference whatsoever in a ball shape, you should just end up with a bigger ball - but with the caveat that the hook you use, and your personal stitch tension (loose, tight, tall, short) makes a closed-enough fabric to stuff.

If the head is 'too wide to stuff', unless I'm imagining this wrong, the logical thing would, or might be to reduce stitches not add stitches.  However, it is a bad idea to go of and do something on a whim without studying the pattern photo carefully, and reading through the entire pattern before you do so you understand its construction (this is always a good idea, for any pattern, but especially a toy or a wearable).

The pattern may be telling you to stuff the head now, because if you go further it might be harder to 'get at' to stuff properly.  Usually something with a head also has a neck, where the opening for the head is 'neck sized'.

Is the pattern, or a photo of the end item, on the internet somewhere?  I'm making guesses based on my experience, but seeing a photo might help explain things better.

I'll take a pic and show you what I mean

20221219_192449.jpg

20221219_192420.jpg

20221219_192400.jpg

20221219_130438.jpg

There are a lot of good tips here:

https://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/crochet-tutorials/

Including one on how to use stitch markers:

https://www.planetjune.com/blog/amigurumi-help/how-to-use-stitch-markers-in-amigurumi/

If a pattern gives you a stitch count its best to match it and not just move on as that tends to compound the error leaving you to having to essentially develop your own pattern to compensate.  It would really be best to pull it apart and start over making sure stitch counts match those given for each round.

Your pattern says to stuff the head when you have 16 stitches.  I assume that you have removed the 29 stitches that you added but the pattern didn't say to add.

Then is says to close the round after stuffing it, in 2 rounds, until there are 6 stitches, then you close it up by sewing up the opening (rounds 17 & 18).  This is awkward but not an uncommon maneuver, like closing the top of a bottom up hat for example.  

• Like 1