Amy

Gummybear

Question

Hello I'm trying to find a pattern for the head scarf that Judy Garland wore in the scene wishing you a merry little Christmas in Meet me in St. Louis were she's wearing the red dress! I absolutely love it and would love to make one for myself! Please and thank you! 

6 answers to this question

I know just the one you are thinking of, I don't know how many times I've watched that movie...

I bet the original was probably knit, I was originally thinking it was a snood, but you are right, I checked youtube and it looks like it was a triangular scarf tied under her chin.  

I bet the original was probably knit, with a big needle, but you could probably find a pattern for a basic triangle shawl that starts at the point, and use a large hook and laceweight yarn that 's a little fluffy and sparkly, and work it until it is scarf-size.  If you are not as old as I am and your mother didn't make you wear a scarf on cold days, don't forget to make it big enough (wide enough) to tie under your chin comfortably.

If you can't find fluffy and sparkly, you can thread sequins or beads on a matching thread and carry the thread along with your yarn, and pull up one every so often where you think it looks right and use that bit of yarn in a stitch, if you can't find a sparkly lace weight yarn.

I'll see if I can find a basic scarf pattern like that, but worst case find a triangle shawl or scarf that is worked point up, and follow it but with a big hook -- like one as big as your thumb more or less.

• Like 1

I'm not coming very close, this is the closest one I found looking for a triangle scarf pattern in lace weight yarn (ditch the tassels and hopefully you can find more bling-y yarn) 

Here is a shawl in a plain stitch, but is open and airy, it's a bottom up triangle that could work, just make it big enough to tie under your chin.

Most of the other patterns I found had a more pronounced stitch pattern, which didn't look as much like the original.

Edited by Granny Square

Oops, you are right, thank you for catching that (and apologies to Gummbear).  I usually choose 'English' and "Universal'(charted) as the language when I look for Patterns on Ravelry but blew it this time.

But, instead of me picking a couple I think look similar, (plain but open-ish triangle shawl patterns), here is a link on their database for all free crochet triangle shawl patterns in English and Universal.  (If you don't like charted, you can un-click Universal choice on the left side menu)

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&availability=free&pc=shawl-wrap&pa=triangle-shaped&language=u|en&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs&page=1

Hmmmm. Good challenge here. And I too have watched that movie probably 50 times through the ages.

This link shows a good view of the front of Judy Garland's scarf. It looks to me to possibly be a rectangular scarf with pointed ends that go under the chin, not tied but hidden and fastened behind, towards the neck. There are many good yarns out there with sequins on them. I once ran across a yarn shop in Colorado Springs, CO, and they had some pretty angora yarn with tiny crystals already strung on, but it was very pricey. 

ETA: Here is another halfway decent view of the scarf and showing how it's undone. Looks like it may be knitted. It looks pretty heavy too when she removes it.

Edited by ReniC

As I live and breathe, Meet Me in St. Louis is on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) today for about the hundredth time.  I am going to watch it, once again, only this time to see that scarf, which I never thought about.  What I do hunt for when watching films is someone crocheting or wearing a crocheted item, almost always a shawl.