What size hook

tdr19730

Question

I'm a 74 yo make in the process of teaching myself to crochet.

I want to make keepsake beaded coin purses for my wife and daughters. So far I have bee able to complete plain crochet purses with circular and rectangle clasps.

Now I'm trying to add beads but find the stitches too tight. I have Metallica fine yarn and 6/0 beads. 

What size crochet hook should I use for 6/0 beads and fine yarn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Trd

Edited by tdr19730
Not enough detail

7 answers to this question

How fine is the yarn?  That would determine the hook size, plus what are you making - in other words is this something that has to fit or be a certain size?  I know of solutions that have nothing to do with the hook used for the fabric you are adding beads to.

I  will admit I've never used beads with yarn, only #10 doily thread (but they were 6/0 beads).  So I was using a #7 steel hook for the threadwork, then grabbed the the teeniest steel hook I had (#12) to pull the thread thru the bead, then back to the #7 hook to finish the stitch.

What I have read of for yarn, but haven't tried--(1) using the wire in a twist tie (after pulling the paper off, and the wire folded in half), to pull the yarn thru a bead (2) threading the beads on a matching sewing thread, and crocheting with the thread and yarn held together and pull a bead up on the thread when you need it.  There is a third solution, another member Bgs will probably come by soon and remind us what it is (I need to write the details  down - it involves a dental flossing tool I'm not familiar with, to pull the yarn thru the bead).  So all of these have you drop the hook you are using for a moment and grabbing another thing to pull a loop thru the bead.

Edited by Granny Square

6 hours ago, tdr19730 said:

I want to make keepsake beaded coin purses for my wife and daughters. So far I have bee able to complete plain crochet purses with circular and rectangle clasps.

Now I'm trying to add beads but find the stitches too tight. I have Metallica fine yarn and 6/0 beads. 

Thanks in advance 

Trd

I don't know how to answer your responses. I'm using a bead needle to see preload the yar with the beads 

So I just use the appropriate hook for the yarn size and not based on the bead size

15 hours ago, tdr19730 said:

Thanks in advance 

Trd

Metallica Fine from a quick search is sport weight with a recommended 3.0mm and the 6/0 beads require a size 12 steel hook to fit through the hole.

Maybe reading about how they are used in assorted patterns will be helpful.  ie pre-threaded and incorporated as you crochet.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/crochet-with-beads-979269
https://www.beadinggem.com/2020/08/beaded-crochet-coin-purse-designs-and.html