Confusing question, please help!

Shiloh.Baudelaire

Question

Hi! I’m new to crocheting and picked up a new book! :) this book has a kind of confusing step though! The step says: 

2 sc, 2 sc in next st, six time. 

Does this mean 2 single crochets in each stitch? It’s just confusing because in an earlier step, it simply just calls for 2 sc in each st. Please help! Thank you!

6 answers to this question

^what she said. 

The conventional pattern writing rule is, when a pattern says '10 SC' and doesn't say where to put them, it means to put 1 stitch into each of the next 10 stitches.  If it wants you to put 10 stitches into 1 stitch (which is not impossible), it would specifically tell you which stitch to put them all into.

The conventional pattern writing rule is, when a pattern says '10 SC' and doesn't say where to put them, it means to put 1 stitch into each of the next 10 stitches. 

That is not my idea of good pattern writing.  A good pattern writer assumes that the person reading it needs highly detailed instrs - even if they don't.   I am at present dealing with a pattern where the designer assumes we know what she wants and she can present her instrs any old way.  Feh...

1 hour ago, Horsy said:

The conventional pattern writing rule is, when a pattern says '10 SC' and doesn't say where to put them, it means to put 1 stitch into each of the next 10 stitches. 

That is not my idea of good pattern writing.  A good pattern writer assumes that the person reading it needs highly detailed instrs - even if they don't.   I am at present dealing with a pattern where the designer assumes we know what she wants and she can present her instrs any old way.  Feh...

I'm with you, Horsy.  Too much detail/instructions is way better than not enough.

• Like 2

I learned to crochet from vintage (1940s-ish hand-me-down) pattern books at my disposal, which are a lot terser and less hand-holding than new crocheters are probably used to, so that is where I'm coming from.  One did exactly what it said--nothing more and nothing less--you didn't improvise and try to guess.  (Oops wasn't trying to rhyme there)

If a 1940 pattern didn't say where to put 10 sts, you put 1 st in each of the next 10 available to you, which was 'understood/conventional' for a pattern of that era; if it was something else, it would very specifically and clearly spell it out.  The OP's pattern is terser than the terse 1940s pattern would be, which would probably have been along the lines of " *2 sc, 2 sc in next st; repeat from * 5 times "

• Like 1