Tulip dress

paule

Question

I am still working on my tulip dress and am stuck again, I have done this row but if there are no stitches left how can you SLST to the third stitch?

Row 5: CH2, Turn, DC into first ST, DC into CH1 Space, Skip a ST, *Work 2 DC into CH1 Space, Skip a ST* repeat from *to* a total of 35(35, 38, 38, 41, 41) times. DC into last CH1 Space, DC into last ST. SLST to the 3rd ST worked in this row.

https://www.windingroadcrochet.com/tulip-crochet-dress-free-pattern/#

19 answers to this question

You are working in the round.  It says " SLST to the 3rd ST worked in this row", which means you are overlapping the end of the round over the beginning of this same round, by a little bit (unusual, but not impossible).

Looking at the photo of the back of the dress, I can see a little 'overlap fold' in the skirt just under the left yellow button.

25 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

You are working in the round.  It says " SLST to the 3rd ST worked in this row", which means you are overlapping the end of the round over the beginning of this same round, by a little bit (unusual, but not impossible).

Looking at the photo of the back of the dress, I can see a little 'overlap fold' in the skirt just under the left yellow button.

So that means to join with other side, but it does not say join, plus next row it says to chain two and turn

You are going to fold your piece and slip stitch into 3rd stitch of this row  Pattern says this makes a flap.  

The slip stitch into 3rd stitch is the join.

When making granny squares if you make many rounds in the same direction you get a definite skew.  But if you turn after each round they off set each other.

A slip stitch in a round is a join. This is what it says at the end of "row 5" (which is really a round not a row), which you were questioning:

"The Slip Stitch to the 3rd stitch will create a small flap on the back of the dress. From now on we will be joining the end of our rows with a slip stitch."

20 hours ago, bgs said:

The row round thing in patterns like this is pet peeve of mine.

So I got the flap understood but if each row says chain 2 and turn well if you are doing tows how can you chain 2 and turn?

You can turn doing rounds, and rows.  You are doing rounds, the pattern writer 'misspoke' and said rows which was the pet peeve Bgs was talking about.

I think you understand turning in rows working flat, like for a washcloth for example.

A crochet designer has 3 choices for rounds, we'll talk about rounds in a tube shape like your pattern, or a hat for example.

1) you could work in a spiral, but that is not what your pattern says. (same side facing, just go round and round).  Crochet stitches 'bias' (the don't sit squarely on top of each other like knit stitch do, and form a diagonal line) when you work same side facing,  so isn't always an ideal choice.

2) you can work with the same side always facing but in joined rows.  You make a round, connect the last stitch to the first stitch with a slip stich, chain up, but don't turn, and repeat for future rounds.  This will bias also, (and would be a goofy choice for the designer IMO) as you might as well work in a spiral, and the join will make an even more obvious slanted seam).

3) like above, but when you connect the last stitch to the first, you turn every round, so is similar in that way to working flat.  This has a different appearance, and kills the bias.  The join will form a subtle but straight 'seam' up the back, and the stitches sit in vertical columns.

At the end of a row you will slip stitch join to a stitch earlier in that row, often its the first stitch but this case it was the 3rd stitch.  Then to start your next row you literally chain 2 and turn. 

Granny Square thank you for the in depth explanation.

Edited by bgs

On 3/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, bgs said:

At the end of a row you will slip stitch join to a stitch earlier in that row, often its the first stitch but this case it was the 3rd stitch.  Then to start your next row you literally chain 2 and turn. 

Granny Square thank you for the in depth explanation.

Thank you all for being so helpful, I appreciate every response it is so detailed, every time I post I know someone will answer and try to help me. Again Thank you I can now finish the skirt.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, paule said:

I am still working on my tulip dress and am stuck again, I have done this row but if there are no stitches left how can you SLST to the third stitch?

Row 5: CH2, Turn, DC into first ST, DC into CH1 Space, Skip a ST, *Work 2 DC into CH1 Space, Skip a ST* repeat from *to* a total of 35(35, 38, 38, 41, 41) times. DC into last CH1 Space, DC into last ST. SLST to the 3rd ST worked in this row.

https://www.windingroadcrochet.com/tulip-crochet-dress-free-pattern/#

Pictures of the dress I promised, thanks to all your help, I had to adjust the buttons so it would be shorter on her and it might be too big for her right now as she is 18 mos and this is 2 yr old but she can grow into it. I welcome any criticisms as I taught myself so I really don’t know if there are improvements I could make not only on this dress but in general too.  

6D89470F-D0D2-4F64-9124-269887260BAB.jpeg

9B31EBD4-A4AD-4913-AAD2-4DD927DB94A0.jpeg