Tricks/tips for hats?

LegalWoman17

Question

I really enjoy making hats.  Is there some deep dark secret for making hats from the brim up?  Every time I attempt a brim up hat, it turns into some grotesque yarn thing.  No problem with from the top down hats.  But brim up hats, no way.  Help !! 

And thank you in advance.

5 answers to this question

I haven't run across a crochet brim up pattern (I've only done top down; the ones I've knit all have been brim up tho.  But, I don't make a LOT of hats, so there's that.

I wonder if it it's because crochet increases top down look tidier than decreases bottom up?  :shrug 

15 hours ago, LegalWoman17 said:

I really enjoy making hats.  Is there some deep dark secret for making hats from the brim up?  Every time I attempt a brim up hat, it turns into some grotesque yarn thing.  No problem with from the top down hats.  But brim up hats, no way.  Help !! 

And thank you in advance.

I have this pattern for a brim up hat. I find that if I do the starting chain and then Sc into the 2nd bump loop in the back of the chain to create a smooth edge for the first round that it looks better. Working in the back bump is slow but the results are nice. Below are a few photos of some hats I crocheted. Here is the link to my cabled hat pattern if you'd like to try it.

1525487152_BlueCabledHat2-2021.thumb.JPG.cc72270cf05bb83819dec2130f94b52c.JPG320510216_CabledCougHat.thumb.JPG.ee242d77a560a99cdb8b8cca0ca75209.JPG