What does "Dee" and "SS" Mean in Crochet?

Emily Crochet

Question

I am crocheting Stitch and Scrump from the movie "Lilo & Stitch" and in the directions it appears multiple times to "dee." I don't know what it means and I don't think it is a typo because it is said multiple times throughout the pattern. Also, I am assuming the pattern is in US terms, and "ss" is not on the abbreviation sheet. Generally, ss means slip stitch in the UK, but here slip stitch is stated as "sl st."

7 answers to this question

On 1/1/2022 at 3:29 PM, Emily Crochet said:

I am crocheting Stitch and Scrump from the movie "Lilo & Stitch" and in the directions it appears multiple times to "dee." I don't know what it means and I don't think it is a typo because it is said multiple times throughout the pattern. Also, I am assuming the pattern is in US terms, and "ss" is not on the abbreviation sheet. Generally, ss means slip stitch in the UK, but here slip stitch is stated as "sl st."

i am also working on this and i see it is definitely not a typo. i have NO idea what it means, i was wondering if you figured anything out????

The abbreviations should be defined in the pattern.  If not you really need to contact the designer and especially if you purchased the pattern.  You can do a search for pattern with designer name and sometimes find info.  Sometimes looking at the photo helps.  We dont have enough info to guess what it means.  

I am also using the kit for Stitch and there are no instructions or abbreviations listed in the kit for (dee). I am sure that it is it’s own stitch, but I cannot figure it out. I emailed the company just now, so hopefully I will get a response. Will update if I do!! 

So is this what you are working on?  If so I read thru the comments and one person posted a photo of the pattern. I had to work but finally got it where I could see it.  As she pointed out its not well written and looks as if two different patterns were merged as there is a huge difference in the writing style from page 1 to page 2.  I am sure the "dee"s are decreases.  Its just a poor poor pattern.  Also when you are on page 2 doing the nails I am sure the "de" is double crochet and ss is slip stitch.  Thats how I would work it.  Nothing to lose.  People said they got no response back from company in regards to their questions about the pattern and many said they ran out of yarn.

Whoa, those comments were brutal, I'm surprised Amazon listed those low rated comments first.  I know some places (not just Amazon) pester you almost immediately to rate the 'thing' you bought, and about all you can say is 'the packaging was or wasn't damaged' because you haven't had a chance to use the gadget or get your head in the crochet pattern (in fact, the first comment in the '5' rating was "can't wait to get started!) The first comments shown are the lowest ratings and pretty specific about how poor the pattern and kit is overall. 

This is disappointing, I'd have hoped Disney would have 'vetted' their products better.  

On 1/18/2022 at 10:42 PM, Granny Square said:

Whoa, those comments were brutal, I'm surprised Amazon listed those low rated comments first.  I know some places (not just Amazon) pester you almost immediately to rate the 'thing' you bought, and about all you can say is 'the packaging was or wasn't damaged' because you haven't had a chance to use the gadget or get your head in the crochet pattern (in fact, the first comment in the '5' rating was "can't wait to get started!) The first comments shown are the lowest ratings and pretty specific about how poor the pattern and kit is overall. 

This is disappointing, I'd have hoped Disney would have 'vetted' their products better.  

yeah that is really disappointing, to Hear that, i have seen small business entity has  the best products and theire qulatiy also is the best, inpist of big brand buisness entity's. and then you competiors hire people and do bad reviews on them.. and eventually sales gows down...