Help Reading a Pattern!

12sg78

Question

Hello! 

I am a first time poster and brand new to reading patterns :) So far I have made the 6 pedal flower and am now trying to understand what to do with the round 4 instructions from http://auntieelle.blogspot.com/2010/01/odyssey-12-inch-square-free-crochet.html 

"Round 4: Attach Colour B in the middle (3rd) stitch of any shell. Ch-1, *sc in same st, hdc, dc, tc, dc, hdc.* Repeat from * to * 5 times. Sl-st to first sc. (36 sts)"

So I attached in the new colour, I then chained 1 (same spot middle stitch) but then I don't understand if I am supposed to (1) sc in that same spot (at the middle stitch of the shell) or (2) supposed to single crochet 1 spot over and then do a st, hdc, dc, tc, dc, and hdc 3 spots over, or (3) do everything between the *'s in the same stitch

Thank you!

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, bgs said:

When you have questions about a pattern it can be extremely helpful to study the photo if there is one.  You can often see what you need to do. After looking at the photo this is what is going on.  

sc in same spot as ch 1,  hdc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, tc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, hdc in next stitch.

This should bring you to the middle stitch of the next petal where you would sc,  then hdc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, tc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, hdc in next stitch.  You are filling in the area between each petal.

Good catch.  I glanced at the photo, but it was grainy and didn't catch it.  

• Like 1

"Round 4: Attach Colour B in the middle (3rd) stitch of any shell. Ch-1, *sc in same st, hdc, dc, tc, dc, hdc.* Repeat from * to * 5 times. Sl-st to first sc. (36 sts)"

So I attached in the new colour, I then chained 1 (same spot middle stitch) but then I don't understand if I am supposed to (1) sc in that same spot (at the middle stitch ....

Ch-1, *sc in same st, hdc, dc, tc, dc, hdc.* all in the middle stitch of any shell
 Repeat from * to * 5 times in middle stitches of shells. Slip stitch join to first stitch.  (total stitches this round 36 sts)

Does that help?

• Like 1

When you have questions about a pattern it can be extremely helpful to study the photo if there is one.  You can often see what you need to do. After looking at the photo this is what is going on.  

sc in same spot as ch 1,  hdc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, tc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, hdc in next stitch.

This should bring you to the middle stitch of the next petal where you would sc,  then hdc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, tc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, hdc in next stitch.  You are filling in the area between each petal.

• Like 2

^I agree that 'looking at the pattern is worth 1000 pattern words' (more or less).   'What is this step trying to achieve, what does it look like is going on between the petals'. 

The petals are low at the edges and high at the top--like hills..  Think of the space between the hills is a valley.  What you need to do is add stitches across the top of the hills and also fill in the valleys.  To do that, as the valley drops down from the top of a petal you make stitches that get longer and longer and longer, which are going into stitches farther 'downhill' than the top of the petal, (this keeps the top of those stitches in line with the height of the stiches in this round that are on top of the hill) until you reach the bottom of the valley.  Then you want to do this in reverse, making ever shorter stitches uphill to the top of the next petal.

It's easy to see because of the color changes, you can easily see the pink filling in the valley between the blue hills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCcountrygal said:

Good catch.  I glanced at the photo, but it was grainy and didn't catch it.  

Its good we can back each other up and that someone sees what another may have missed.  Its a group effort!

• Like 2