JS

JSteen

Question

I am.doing a dog sweater.  The 1st instructions are:

Row 1-ch 1, SC in first sc, * Lsc over next sc, SC in next SC, rep from * across, turn.

I have watched the video on the local, but ot only after the rows has been established.  Can anyone show a video of what this looks like?

Thank you!

10 answers to this question

55 minutes ago, JSteen said:

My issue is how do I do it when I've only go ch 1 then sc nothing else. 

You are working these stitches into stitches in a previously made piece not out in the air.  Not having the pattern I do not know what that part is.  Just because it says row 1 it does not necessarily mean its a separate piece all on its own.  This row 1 is not the starting point to this pattern.

Edited by bgs

I suggest contacting the designer to help you especially if it is a purchased pattern.   If this is a free pattern on the internet providing the link would be helpful. I loathe working patterns from video.  Your question is confusing as it sounds like there is already a video.

By the time you get to

"Row 1-ch 1, SC in first sc, * Lsc over next sc, SC in next SC, rep from * across, turn."

you should have already worked something ---maybe a tube since its a dog sweater that would go over the head and now you will be working in rows back and forth for the back.  To do a long single crochet you would have to have rows or rounds already made to work those into. I dont have enough info to know whats going on.

11 hours ago, JSteen said:

I am.doing a dog sweater.  The 1st instructions are:

Row 1-ch 1, SC in first sc, * Lsc over next sc, SC in next SC, rep from * across, turn.

I have watched the video on the local, but ot only after the rows has been established.  Can anyone show a video of what this looks like?

Thank you!

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but Here's a definition of long sc and has a video link.

http://www.crochetnmore.com/123basics.htm
scroll down to LSC
"A Long Single Crochet Stitch is worked the same as a regular single crochet stitch, except... it is worked in a stitch on a row below the normal working row."
Has youtube link

1 hour ago, JSteen said:

My issue is how do I do it when I've only go ch 1 then sc nothing else. 

I've glanced at dog sweaters using spike stitch.  The pattern NOTES in the one I'm including has what you've written, however the starting point is the collar.

Is this it?

https://crochetblog.net/simple-dog-sweater-with-tutorial/

" In the fairness of creativity, I didn’t design this dog coat. Eleanor Miles-Bradley designed this dog coat for Red Heart Yarns. In keeping with requests,

I decided to keep all stitches as single crochet to keep my tutorial basic to help newbie crocheters.

I haven’t changed any stitch counts or sizing.

I have also not changed any colours within my tutorial. You can change the colours if you prefer. "

Adding this step by step tutorial because she mentions key points in getting the sizing correct.  Also, a good beginner dog sweater. (I found out that just following a pattern and general size doesn't work for all dogs some years ago.  Both my dogs are broad chested)

Crochet Basic Dog Sweater - Free Step by Step Tutorial - Maria's Blue Crayon (mariasbluecrayon.com)

You want to read thru the 'texture pattern' part first to make sure you understand it, but you want to start where its says 'neckband' as said above.  

It's common to write up the 'stitch pattern' separate from the actual pattern so you can follow its concept for the number of stitches you need to measure a swatch, to make sure that you can match your tension with the designers', so your chihuahua sweater doesn't end up fitting a Great Dane.  You are hitting 12 sts and 16 rows = 4" [10 cm] in pat(tern), right?

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I checked here on some of the 221 project pages. 

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-dog-sweater

If you are not a member its free to join.  Some said pattern confusing as written and said they used this video.  Others explain modifications they made.

Here is the same sweater using their new yarn

https://www.yarnspirations.com/red-heart-crochet-dog-sweater/RHC.  No0713-014852M.html