4 Vintage Floral Doilies

NCcountrygal

A few days later, I clicked on this again...I just realized I made the doily at the bottom left from not-a-book, so these might be at Antique Pattern Library, (I tend to print out just a pattern I like, not a whole book, so don't know which one it came from, or whether these are all from the same book).  It's also the same doily, with pink roses, for $1.54 in the banner above that listing.

• Like 1

....after getting lost at APL after the last post, I found the book with the (rose)doily I mentioned above - I don't think it is OK to post the PDF, but the title is "Star Doily Book No. 120, Doilies, Doilies and More Doilies" on that site.  The other ones weren't in this book, I should have paid more attention to the Daffodil one you said you were making, I'm pretty sure I saw at least 1 daffodil one (somewhere there).

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

A few days later, I clicked on this again...I just realized I made the doily at the bottom left from not-a-book, so these might be at Antique Pattern Library, (I tend to print out just a pattern I like, not a whole book, so don't know which one it came from, or whether these are all from the same book).  It's also the same doily, with pink roses, for $1.54 in the banner above that listing.

good find

4 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

....after getting lost at APL after the last post, I found the book with the (rose)doily I mentioned above - I don't think it is OK to post the PDF, but the title is "Star Doily Book No. 120, Doilies, Doilies and More Doilies" on that site.  The other ones weren't in this book, I should have paid more attention to the Daffodil one you said you were making, I'm pretty sure I saw at least 1 daffodil one (somewhere there).

I'm good.  I have all four on pdf from Maggie's.  I got a discount coupon that I used.  She has a free pattern section at her website, but haven't taken the time to peruse.  Also, I stopped by her website and see many if not all patterns are 50%off, not sure how long.

You might be interested in another book I found (and just downloaded) at APL, 'cutwork doilies', it was one I don't recall seeing before. I rather liked the 'damask rose star' on page 8.  The Summer Garland (page 9) is gorgeous, but so many little bits!  And it is shown in #30 thread and looks huge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

You might be interested in another book I found (and just downloaded) at APL, 'cutwork doilies', it was one I don't recall seeing before. I rather liked the 'damask rose star' on page 8.  The Summer Garland (page 9) is gorgeous, but so many little bits!  And it is shown in #30 thread and looks huge.

Just looked 🤩  Both of those are gorgeous.  Downloaded the pdf too.

I made the rose doily some years ago.  I have that pattern by itself.  I made 3.  One with red roses, pink and yellow.  I saw a "wheat and grape" doily that was part of the patterns in the Star booklet that has my interest.  I have a separate wheat pattern that got my interest some years ago.  It was used as the skirt of a 18 inch doll dress.  It was so appealing when I saw it.  Ukrainian or Russian design using that wheat doily.

4 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

So many pretty patterns, so little time...   Same with freevintagecrochet.com; working on one from there now (Pert Ruffle, I've never done a ruffle before (on purpose :lol  ) so I though I'd  test the blocking process with a tiny doily with a tiny ruffle.

My grandmother had many of those ruffle edge style in the house.  I never saw her crochet so not sure where they came from.  Maybe when she was younger.  I've never been drawn to that style.  Hope you share your outcome.

Edited by NCcountrygal
add

I will; actually I only have a bit to go, my eyes and energy ran out last nite.  My mother was not crafty, I don't think she knew how to crochet, and we actually had a few stiff plastic ruffled doilies around the house, if you can imagine that.  :yuck

I'm just off to finish mine, should be able to block it tonite.  It called for 7 or 8 hook (#10 thread), and said finished size 9"; I used a 9 hook; I was thinking for a 3-D ruffle, tighter stitches would be better.  It's probably going to take longer to weave in the ends than finish what I have left to go, it had 3 colors but they switched back and forth.  If I'm counting right it has 14 ends!  :faint 

Well it turns out blocking ruffles is not my strong suit; I think I'll stick to flat doilies (well flowers are OK).  This pattern is a little different than most ruffled doilies I've seen, it helps reinforce the shape of every 'up' part of the ruffle by having you connect each underside to close it, and the 'down' part is just a point which was easy to pin like a normal doily. I think I need to tweak the flat part blocking (I used damp doily + stiffen quick because I thought the latter would work with the ruffles better, but I think my usual damp doily+spray starch regimen would have been better).  I thought it looked odd with the 'up' part sticking straight up and, because the underside was connected, it showed an encircled 'hole' which I thought looked odd compared to 'normal' ruffled doilies do (sigh).  So I knocked the peaks down a little; now they look like hungry baby bird beaks (sigh again).   It's 7" across, which I expected with the smaller hook. 

All of the added stitches happen in the yellow ruffle round of the edging; it's worked without increasing after that.  

Pert Ruffle 2.JPG

Edited by Granny Square

I'm going to unravel this back to the starting point of the ecru thread and start over with a smaller hook. 1.65mm is too big.  I'm using a 1.00mm #6 on the oblong doily and it's almost too tight.  Upsized it from 8 that pattern called for, but after the center may adjust up to a 4.

Already back to row 5 and much happier with the tighter sts.

Edited by NCcountrygal
update

I'm so used to working in a circle, I found with oblongs I have to put 4 stitch markers around, because the ovals (that I've worked I'm sure they all must to some degree) had 4 distinct pattern sections: a curve, a straight, a curve, a straight which differ from each other and the markers kept me off the autopilot setting I usually use for round doilies after the first repeat.  

Edited by Granny Square

Happy New Year to you too! We are not New Years Eve celebrators, we just watch the doings on TV for a while and go to bed before midnight usually, but then put pillows over our heads while annoying neighbors on the next street set off illegal fireworks for half the night.  

Oh, no! on having to unravel the daffodil, but sometimes (for me) when I do that, the re-do seems to go faster...