Pattern Error Help needed!

Bex23

Question

I downloaded a free pattern from yarninspirations for a hat to make for my sister and I can't get my head around number of stitches. Either the pattern has an error or my brain has an error. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Start at top centre, ch 4; join with slip st in first chain to form ring.

Round 1: ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), 11dc in ring; join with slip st in top of chain 3 - 12sts.     (I did a magic ring, chained 3, counted this as my first dc and did 11dc in magic ring before pulling tight. Then I had 12 sts then did a sl st)

Round 2: ch 3, dc in first st, then 2dc in each stich around; join with a slip stitch to top of chain 3 - 24 sts.

Round 3: this is where I am stuck. ch 3,  dc in next st then 2 fpdc in next st *dc in next 2 sts, 2fpdc in next st;repeat from * around. Now I cannot for the life of me by doing this end up with 32 sts. By the time I nearly finish this round, I am putting my last 2fpdc in stitch 23 from last round. At this point, including the chain 3 at the beginning of this round which counts as a dc, I have 32 stitches. But I still have stitch number 24 from previous row to stitch into (followed by my slip stitch to top of chain 3).

Is the amount of stitches in row 3 an error? And if so this then has a knock on effect for the rest of the rows.

I feel round 3 is wrong somehow but can't fornthe life of me figure it out!

One thing that I have spotted is round 2 says dc in first st after chain 3 and round 3 says dc in next sts after chain 3 (round 4 also says dc in next st rather than first). Never seen a pattern to skip stitches in that way.

Help me please!!!

Thanks

Rebecca

Edited by Bex23

15 answers to this question

When it says ch 3, dc in first stitch, you are putting two stitches in the first stitch from the previous round--the ch3, and 1 dc.

Ch 3, dc in the next stitch means to ch 3 which counts as a dc in your first stitch of the previous round. Then dc in the next stitch--the second stitch of the previous round. Then 2 fpdc in the next stitch, the third stitch of the previous round.

1,1,2,1,1,2,1,1,2,1,1,2,1,1,2,1,1,2,1,1,2,1,1,2 equals 32 stitches.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for getting back to me @greyhoundgrandma

When you say putting the dc and ch into first stitch of previous round what does that mean. I did a slip stitch in last round and straight from there chained 3. Am I putting that first dc into the bottom of that chain so it doesn't use the next stitch? Not sure that makes sense haha!

Welcome to the ville!  I agree with Greyhoundgrandma that it does work out to 32 on round 3.

You mentioned you have never seen a pattern in US DC say to 'chain 3, skip the first stitch'.  That is 100% normal and conventionally understood for US DC - because the chain 3 'stands in for' a real US DC, and takes the place of the first US DC of the next row.  If you chain 3 for a row that begins with DC and don't skip the first stitch of the row, you will have made an inadvertent increase.  (or in the case of your pattern, an on-purpose increase)

(I'm being obnoxious by saying US DC, because Yarnspirations patterns are in US terms, and you used UK spelling for 'center' - I just wanted to make sure we were speaking of the same stitch - a US DC is a UK treble. ;) )

I'm going to include a photo of a circle in DC, notice the red arrow?  It is pointing to something that looks like a stitch, but is not; that's left over from when you slip stitched to join the last stitch to the first, before you 'chained up'.  If you use that stitch by mistake, you will have made an increase.  I've been crocheting for eons but still put a stitch marker in that spot so I don't 'zone out' and use it by mistake.91615935_extrastitchintheroundwheretostartnextround.thumb.jpg.0d17de818ec2ed75c2e45a7c7dd1fd37.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

This site https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern is in US stitch terms, the conventions of 'how to' are the same, just the stitch names are different - UK stitch names 'promote' US stitch names by 1 level; UK has no Single Crochet, US SC is UK DC, US DC is UK treble, US Half Double is UK Half treble, and so on.  In the link, scroll down to 'Working in Double Crochet', and it explains the 'chain 3, skip the first stitch' in more detail than I did, and adds that at the end of the following row, the last stitch is made into the topmost chain of the prior row's chain 3.

Hi @Granny Square thanks for your help! Yes I am uk but I'm quite familiar with the different stitch names between UK and US. Most of the patterns i have done so far have been US so I am more used to that than UK ones lol.

I have made good progress on pattern thanks to the help here so thanks again!

Can I be really cheeky and ask a question in a round later on.

Round 10: Ch 3, dc in next 8 sts, 1(2,2) FPDC in next st *dc in next 9 sts, 1(2,2) Fpdc in next st; repeat from * around; join with slip stitch in top of chain 3 80(88,88) sts.

I've never seen the number in brackets within a round description before.

Any help.would be massively helpful!

@Granny Square

Well I have nearly finished the hat. Ear flaps all done, dc border all around. The braided ear flap tie is a puzzler. Any help would be great!

Pattern says:

Cut four 24" lengths of yarn for each fringe. Join 6 fringes with a larks head knot in 6 sts across bottom edge of each ear flap. Using 2 adjacent fringes  for each section, separate fringes in sections and braid. Braid for desired length.

Now ove googled a larks head knot and seems straight forward however if I cut four 24" lengths how can I join 6 fringes in 6 sts. Wouldn't it be 4? Also a larks head knot seems to have a piece of yarn doubled over. So if I have four 24" lengths,  doubled over would be in 2 sts leaving me with 4 lengths to braid.

This hat is more confusing than first thought. Only persevering as its a Christmas present for my sister!

Thanks for any help!

Pattern

https://www.yarnspirations.com/ca-en/red-heart-comfy-earflap-hat/RHC0116-021875M.html?utm_campaign=2019_08_30_Comfy_Ear_Flap_Hat&utm_medium=blog&utm_source=Influencer_TCC&utm_content=ComfyEarFlapHat

Cut four 24" lengths of yarn for each fringe.

Join 6 fringes so 6×4=24

each flap 2x24=48

You need 48 24 inch lengths of yarn

Could you link to the pattern, or at least the name, When I search on 'hat' at Yarnspirations, there's 861 hat patterns...eek!  I did a search for 'ear flap', but only 1 pattern for an earflap hat came up, and it was knit.  I'm curious to see what the tie is supposed to look like.

I just looked up the lark's head knot, I'd have called it a fringe knot (I didn't know it had a name, apparently it's also called a cow hitch knot).  Yep, that's easy.

I think the pattern probably goofed, and meant you to cut 6 strands per side, because you are filling up 6 stitches on each side of the hat.  Study the pattern photo and see if you can tell how many hat stitches are filled up with threads used for a tie, is it 4 or 6?  I only know 1 way to braid, using 3 strands, so 6 makes sense, BUT I know there are other sorts of braids out there that are different, and might use 4 strands--does it tell you how to braid it?

One thing - is this tie/fringe really supposed to tie under the chin?  (that's why I was looking for the pattern).  Because if you cut 24"strands, and do the knot to attach them, the strands before braiding will be 2 slightly less than 12" long end (a little is used in the knot), and the braid will be even shorter.  That doesn't sound long enough for a tie, but maybe it's just supposed to be 'for decoration"?

If it is just for show, or not, this is something you can decide to 'tweak' if you want - more or fewer strands, or longer, whatever.  For me, I'd probably choose functional=longer and fewer strands.  If you want it to look like the pattern photo, really since you know how it's made

And BGS posted just before I did!  I must have searched for 'ear flap' with a space.  And that looks like the plain style of braid that I'm familiar with.

BGS, I was mulling 'fringe' versus 'tie' in the OP's post, it was confusing.  And the photo of the ties does not look like 48 strands of yarn in each tie to me--folded & knotted fringe-style, that would be 96 yarn ends -- right?

Here is the instruction from the pattern with edits for what (I think) the pattern should have said: 

"Cut four six 24" lengths of yarn for each fringe tie assembly. Join 6  1 fringes 24" length with a larks head knot in each of the 6 sts across bottom edge of each ear flap. Using 2 adjacent fringes strands for each section, separate fringes in sections and braid. Braid for desired length."

And the length makes more sense now, I was forgetting the flaps (duh)--they bring the ties almost under the chin to start with.  

Edited by Granny Square

38 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

And BGS posted just before I did!  I must have searched for 'ear flap' with a space.  And that looks like the plain style of braid that I'm familiar with.

BGS, I was mulling 'fringe' versus 'tie' in the OP's post, it was confusing.  And the photo of the ties does not look like 48 strands of yarn in each tie to me--folded & knotted fringe-style, that would be 96 yarn ends -- right?

Here is the instruction from the pattern with edits for what (I think) the pattern should have said: 

"Cut four six 24" lengths of yarn for each fringe tie assembly. Join 6  1 fringes 24" length with a larks head knot in each of the 6 sts across bottom edge of each ear flap. Using 2 adjacent fringes strands for each section, separate fringes in sections and braid. Braid for desired length."

And the length makes more sense now, I was forgetting the flaps (duh)--they bring the ties almost under the chin to start with.  

I think what you wrote makes more sense and looks more right.  Must remember that after  making the larkspur knots attaching each of the 6 lengths of yarn that now that the yarn is doubled over so you have 12 pieces to work with.  You would be braiding with bundles of 4.

I searched Ravelry and couldnt find any discussion in regards to the instructions for the braids.  By that time people seemed to do their own thing, like not adding them at all, or chaining.  Some had problems with their post stitches lining up and at least one said they would never make this hat again