Skeins

angt

I'm in the 'too many variables' camp.  The link that ReniC gave is nice for stitch count based on your gauge, but doesn't address the yardage.  Example, a plain DC blanket will take a LOT less yarn than a blanket made in DC basket weave stitch (post stitches are yarn eaters); a very lacy blanket would probably take less.

Warning: math and swatching involved in the next paragraph.  Your blanket measurements in feet are 9 'x 8'.  Also, don't think 'skeins', you need to think yards to know how much yarn you need ( 1 skein of Lion Brand worsted weight yardage put-up might be a different yardage from RedHeart worsted weight skeins,  and different again from Bernat worsted weight skeins, and...).

I would first find some yarn in your stash of the same yarn-weight class that you want to use, and make a 12 inch square swatch with the hook size and stitch pattern that you want to use.  Put a paperclip (or something that won't fall out) at the end of that swatch, and unravel it, and measure the yards that you unraveled - that is the yarn required for 1 square foot.  9 'x 8'= 72 square feet, so measure the yardage you ripped from your swatch, and multiply it by 72.  That is how many yards of yarn you need.  Buy extra, you will never find the same dye lot later (or sometimes even the same color, colorways are like fads that come and go).

If you don't want to make a swatch, find a blanket pattern with the same or similar stitch pattern you want to use, look at the yardage it needs and the measurement it makes, and do the math -- example, a sofa throw that is 4'x4.5' (48"x54", about the size of most throws) is ONE QUARTER the size of a the measurements you gave above.  So if that throw pattern you liked took 5 skeins of a particular yarn brand and weight, you are going to need 5x4=20  skeins of that same yarn.

Example, Basic Red Heart Super Saver pattern, In mostly DC, is 46x62", so close to 4x5 feet, in the ballpark of one quarter of your king blanket measurement.  That pattern takes 6 skeins of Red Heart Super Saver, so you will need 24 skeins --and like I said, you want to round up at least a skein on a big project.

The website's price is $6.49 per skein, but that source would be (I'd think) better odds to get the same dye lot.  6 x $6.49=$38.94, plus probably shipping.  This is without rounding up, and a little less than the measurement you were looking for.

• Thanks 1