Looking for this crochet Christmas tree pattern

Y.Marie

Question

10 answers to this question

It looks like this pattern (not free) .

Here is a search for free Christmas tree patterns on Ravelry; this site hosts some free or for purchase patterns but it  is also a 'database' of other patterns that are hosted elsewhere, some may be in a book you'll have to hunt down, or discontinued.  You need to be a member of Ravelry to buy one that they host, or download a free one they host. 

Just my opinion, but that tree doesn't really look very Christmas tree like -  it seems kinda "sloppy" looking with those individual leaf-like branches. Particularly the way they curl.

But, if that is the style you are seeking, there is a nice YouTube tutorial that is similar here.

There is also a leafy-type tutorial here that give a similar effect.
There is also this pattern which looks more like a pine tree to me.

You were talking about crocodile stitch leaves, here is a crocodile stitch Christmas tree pattern, and a similar type.
Here is a fir tree pattern done in rings, and an evergreen tree pattern, which is the best of them all to my eye.

Please update us on your project, and post a picture when it's complete!

• Like 1

The pattern the OP was looking for sort of reminds me of a Norfolk pine.  I have seen these (potted plant sized ones) used when I lived in Hawaii,  you see big ones  growing wild there.

Heck, before we moved to Hawaii our tree looked like the one on this link, which isn't exactly realistic. (I thought the color wheel that went with our silver tinsel tree was pretty cool (ooh, ahh) when I was little :) ).  

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Granny Square said:

The pattern the OP was looking for sort of reminds me of a Norfolk pine.  I have seen these (potted plant sized ones) used when I lived in Hawaii,  you see big ones  growing wild there.

Heck, before we moved to Hawaii our tree looked like the one on this link, which isn't exactly realistic. (I thought the color wheel that went with our silver tinsel tree was pretty cool (ooh, ahh) when I was little :) ).  

Yup- we had a tinsel tree and the color wheel floodlight also. And a few years ago I saw one at Walmart. Go figure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 2

I did a 'ooh, lookie, a tinsel tree' when I saw them in more recent years, but wouldn't buy another one.  Their audience is undoubtedly Baby Boomers.

I think their original appeal 'back then' was about looking to the future--the Mercury astronauts were shooting into space, (and my favorite TV show back then was the Jetsons), even the designs of houses got weird (remember the song about 'little boxes made of 'ticky tacky' that all look the same'?  That was based on a neighborhood near San Francisco that was meant to look futuristic).  Even the design of the original McDonalds restaurants  were 'out there'.  So silver trees fit right in...

Granny Square: Sorry I missed your reply. 

I agree on all you said about the aluminum tree, the song (good ol' Pete Seeger) and most of all the houses in SF. I spent a lot of time in San Francisco with family and friends (as us Oaklander's called it, "Frisco"). I vaguely remember some of the "ticky, tacky" houses also being on the east side of Hwy 1 in South San Francisco area. I'm not sure how south of Golden Gate Park. We called them "cracker boxes" because they were all the same model or very similar. I wonder if they are still there. San Francisco loves their architecture. They now call the Victorian homes the "Painted Ladies". They are beautiful and my favorite of all over the Sf-Oakland Bay area. Great memories!

I'd forgotten that you'd lived in the Bay Area, I am not from there but lived in the East Bay most of my life.  I miss it (a little, but not the commute traffic part).  Although now I'd trade traffic for the wildfire smoke we get almost every year in Oregon (cough).

DH and I loved Oregon and almost retired there, but, couldn't tear ourselves away from the kids and grandkids. We did a grand tour of Oregon (mainly the coast) for a month and will never forget the beauty.