Greetings from Brighton England

KaySam

Hi, I have been crocheting as a hobby for about 10 years. I love making blankets and homewares for friends and family and. I am having a sabbatical from my career and looking at making a living through crochet. This is my first crochet forum. I'm wondering if crochet is more popular in the USA than England?

Welcome from Washington DC.

I've been to Brighton twice -- once for a wedding; the other for a vacation.  My daughter married a Brit -- they lived in the Midlands for about 10 years, so I've been to many places in England. 

From my perspective as a visitor, I formed an idea that knitting was more popular in England than crochet (similar to the US) with maybe a subtle difference that the British didn't seem to mind as much when someone called out crochet as knitting.  As in 'what are you knitting?' when I am crocheting.  My granddaughter was born in Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham and had to go to ICU for a bit of time.  To keep her warm, she received a hand-crocheted sweater but it was called a knit sweater.

I've been a crocheter since the early 70's and it felt for many years as though I were the only crocheter.  By the 90's with the internet and Magic Crochet magazine, I was able to connect with other crocheters. 

Ravelry is another site to connect with crocheters with at least one group dedicated to all things British.

• 4 weeks later...