Help with Shawl

jstaff

Question

Hello! 

I am currently working on a triangle shawl following a pattern I found. The long side of the triangle is beginning to form a "u" shape and not a straight line. Is there any tips or tricks to fix this? 

Thank you! 

8 answers to this question

Some shawl designs are supposed to do that, they are designed to surround your shoulders better than a straight edge and helps to help the shawl 'stay put'. 

This is about knitted shawls, but shapes apply to crochet as well - look at second row first shawl for example, or the section on Faroese or crescent shawls.

What pattern are you using, is there a link to the pattern, or what the finished shawl is supposed to look like (posed flat, not modeled on a person where the top top edge shape might not be obvious), on the net?  If yours is not matching the pattern photo laid flat, can you snap a pic of yours and post it here?  There's an area at the bottom of the posting box where you can drag photos.  If we can see what your shawl looks like maybe we can spot something.  

Your stitchwork is lovely, also the color transitions are coming out great.

The pattern photos are not very helpful, are they?  But the schematic does show a straight top edge.

Personally, I'd be pleased it was coming out not-straight for easier wearing but, as a very strict disciplinarian to my thread doilies when blocking them, I think you can probably wet block it by pushing it around to straighten that edge out & let it dry flat, or get rust-proof pins (I got mine at Walmart, but yarn or fabric store should have them too), wet it and pin it to shape.  Even it is acrylic, it will more or less hold a wet block until you wash it again.  (you may want a plastic tablecloth if you block with pins, the dollar store had them when I went looking a while back; kinda thin but they work for blocking).  Try wet blocking it overnight in the 'pat to shape' method with what you have so far and see how it goes.

I just read the measurements as I was about to close the pattern file - it is narrow, 56" wide.  I've only made a couple of shawls, but what I've read, is that a triangle shawl's 'straight edge' should extend at least 6" beyond your outstretched arms to wrap around enough to hold it up without a shawl pin.  A person's outstretched arms are supposedly about equal to their height; 56" is only 4'8", so is probably going to need a fastener.  Edit, maybe the curved shape helps with that...

Edited by Granny Square

One last mention: Tension can make a shawl curl at the top if it's too tight. Did you check your gauge?

The pattern states: GAUGE 15 sc and 16 rows = 4" [10 cm]. Hope this helps.