Granny Stitch Blanket keeps curving

Ameliaxa

Question

Hi! 
mom trying to make a granny stitch blanket but for some reason it keeps going in a circle instead of staying straight? Like it’s turning in on itself, not curling up. I thought at first my starting chain was too tight so I restarted with a much loser chain but it’s still happening. 
It kinda looks like I’m increasing by accident maybe? But I think I’m following the pattern correctly. I’m using the pattern on East crochet “Modern Granny Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket” 

4 answers to this question

Hi there.  In spite of my 'name' I'm not an expert on Granny Squares, BUT I have some guesses.

Things made center-out in the round are very much bound by the laws of geometry, pi x diameter = Circumference.  If you and the designer make different height stitches, it can be an issue - the pattern that works for the designer might come out nice and flat, but you or I might get a wavy or cupped result.  

'Going in on itself but not curling up' -- The 2 major issues are ruffling or cupping, and I think you are describing cupping.   Here is an example of cupping, the top photo sort of looks like a hill, but if you poke it in the middle the ends will flip up and look like a cup.  The 'going in on itself' sort of made me think of the first picture of the hill, but the best thing would be if you could post a photo here.  If you start a reply, a box comes up and there is an area at the bottom left where you can drag a photo.

I make short-ish stitches.  If I encounter a designer who makes tall-ish stitches, or even shorter stitches than mine, I have to make adjustments.  For my short-ish stitches I tend to get ruffling, which I can 'cure' by making taller stitches, or removing stitches.  If I happen to get cupping I'll usually try adding stitches, since my stitches are already short - it depends on the pattern.

For a granny square, there are variations that look alike but they involve the number of chains in the corners, and the number of chains between the granny 'blocks' (3 stitches in 1 spot).  In spite of my name I haven't made a Granny Square in eons, I can't recall if I put 1 or zero  chains between the granny blocks (not more) and 3 in each corner, to avoid ruffling.

Have you looked at the stitch diagram with the pattern? Each row is not the same--not a straight repeat the same row all the way thru. It is a two row repeat with the beginning and end stitches being a little different in each two rows. The pattern indicates 89 stitches on one row and 90 on the next. Could this be the problem?

Oh, it's in rows!  (assuming one of the links by Bgs above are "it").  If so, what I said above doesn't apply.  Any pattern where 1 row of stitch "pattern" fits in between the "pattern" of the row below, the beginning and end of each row cannot match the row above or below it, there has to be 2 different row ending schemes.

Edited by Granny Square