sampler afghan need help with chevron stitch square

taylorhaley

Question

Hi y'all! Very new here and also new to crochet, but I am struggling to figure out how to create this pattern. I've attached the image of the pattern instructions as well as a picture of what I'm getting when I try to follow it...if anyone could please try and work out this pattern and attach a video to their comment for me to watch that would be super duper helpful. I'm getting stuck on when both of my YO 3x 3D st are too close together and cramp the yarn up as seen in photo - I've also attached a photo of what it's supposed to look like according to the pattern pdf

1680064797_ScreenShot2021-04-19at6_39_38PM.thumb.png.161b63ff1f2a2be5873fa1d520ab60ea.png2081901579_ScreenShot2021-04-19at6_13_46PM.thumb.png.3998b3d2fdcefa16890ed2e2efa2dead.pngIMG_0061.thumb.JPG.d8b2ea6640dff772b9eda08100f1e1f3.JPG

6 answers to this question

Hello and Welcome!

Those Chevrons are very nice :). But if you are new to crochet you probably should start working on something simple and practice that over & over again..

That is my opinion only

Good Luck :)

Krys

I agree with BGS, it looks like you are doing it correctly but maybe a tad loosely.  Practice will indeed help.

For a video, perhaps search for 'crochet front post stitch' or 'crochet cable' - the first will (probably) show how to do it vertically, the second closer to yours, at a slant.  Back post stitch is related but you work around the post a different way and your pattern doesn't have that.

Slanted post stitch success does depend a lot on your tension (loose, tight) as well as your stitch height gauge.  The stitch used is a double treble (yo 3 times).  If you tend to make tall-ish stitches, this may be the issue - try a treble instead (yo 2 times) and see if it looks better to you.  (I make short stitches and sometimes have to sub taller stitches when there are slanted post stitches)

@villager22 Thank you! Another thing I am wondering is when I finish this row and ch 1 turn to start the row of just chaining across the whole thing, I'm going to have far fewer stitches in that row, so I'm not sure how the math is going to work out. Do I chain into the stitches on the row below the post stitches? 

Original contented deleted, trying again.  I blew it when I originally looked at your piece, I overlooked those very long loops on either side of your double treble post stitches - the stitches themselves looked OK but those very loose loops should not be there, they should be the same size as the tops of the other stitches in that row.  When you are making post stitches at such an angle, you need to hold on to the loop on your hook with your finger to avoid that.

I also didn't look at the pattern closely before, and didn't realize that you missed making a lot of stitches (see the bolded part below), which is why you think you are losing stitch count, when you are not.  Also, when you are on row 3 and make a post stitch into a stitch in round 1, it 'takes the place of' the following stitch on row 3, so you skip the next (1) stitch on row 3 (otherwise you would gain a stitch.)

I personally think this pattern is hard to read because it gives a detailed explanation on how to make a front post double treble stitch - that makes NO sense, the designer should have spelled it out the first time ONLY, then use the abbreviation after that.

To rephrase & simplify round 3 to sub FPDTR for the lengthy and repeated direction on how to make a front post double treble:

ch1, turn, sc in first 4 sc, FPDTR around second sc in row 1, skip next 5 sc in row 1, FPDTR in the next sc of row 1(should be the 8th sc of row 1)

*skip the next sc on row 3, *sc in the next 8 sc in row 3, [note this fills in the open 'hole' underneath and between the 2 FPTRs you made] 

skip the next 2 sc in row 1, FPDTR in the next sc in row 1, skip next 5 sc in row 1, FPDTR in the next sc of row 1

skip next sc of row 3; repeat from * once more, sc in last 4 sc of row 3.

Below is what row 1-3 should look like.

scan0016.jpg

Edited by Granny Square