Need help translating Italian to English instructions

debscodas

Question

I have a free pattern in Italian for a Butterfly. I am having trouble understanding it and would appreciate if anyone could translate the terms into American English. Also I am uncertain if the Italians use the British terminology ie., dc = sc. Any help woul be appreciated!

fate 9 catenelle, sulla quarta catenella fate un punto basso, è il primo pippiolino dell’ala superiore. Ora fate una punto quadruplo, poi 3 punti tripli, 4 catenelle e un punto basso (seconda foto), 3 catenelle un punto triplo, un punto quadruplo, uno triplo, 3 catenelle e un punto basso (terza foto), abbiamo fatto metà farfallina, procediamo a fare l’altra metà invertendo la sequenza dei punti, 3 catenelle, un punto triplo, uno quadruplo, un punto triplo, 3 catenelle e un punto basso (quarta foto), 4 catenelle, 3 punti tripli, uno quadruplo, 4 catenelle e un punto basso sul punto quadruplo sottostante, il secondo pippiolino dell’altra ala, 4 catenelle e un punto basso (quinta foto). Attaccatevi con un punto bassissimo al punto basso dell’inizio e affrancate il filo, tagliate anche questo di una decina di cm. Riprendete l’altro capo del cordonetto e tiratelo delicatamente per stringere più che potete il cerchiolino. Ora prendete i due capi e fate un nodino per affrancarli. Passate l’uncinetto nel cerchiolino prendendo entrambi i capi da sotto  e affrancate ancora insieme i fili in mezzo alle ali superiori per formare la testolina della farfalla (sesta foto), tagliate l’eccesso del cordonetto per avere anche le piccole antenne della farfallina!

11 answers to this question

I don't speak Italian, but Garnstudio.com has a translator (like English=Single Crochet, Italian = whatever).  There is other neat stuff on that link (in case you want to browse more later), click on the 'gossary' on that page for the term translator.

Running what you gave thru google translate, it is really surprisingly understandable.  I am guessing low point may be slip stitch (on the 4th chain make a 'low point' for example).  It's telling you step by step and each step has a photo, and tells you which photo to look at for that step.

Altho I mostly hate patterns that are full of photos at every step, this will be helpful in your case to clear up any term confusion.  As far as whether it is in UK or English terms, it mentions quadruple, triple, and single stitches and chains, so I would guess Us terms.

Edited by Granny Square

When looking at a pattern in another language I like to look at charts that show crochet terms in that language and not rely totally on Google translate as it often comes out a little weird. Here is one for Italian.

Thanks so much for the link. 

I did run the instructions through a translator and pretty well guessed that low point= Sl-st. I was having trouble determining whether Italians use terms similar to the British, ie., sc= dc. But I don't think it will be a big deal to just use American terms in their place. 

2 minutes ago, bgs said:

When looking at a pattern in another language I like to look at charts that show crochet terms in that language and not rely totally on Google translate as it often comes out a little weird. Here is one for Italian.

Thanks Brenda, I have that chart, but my original translation was bizarre. I have subsequently found two other on-line translators and finally got the translation of "Picot" instead of peen. I could tell from the tutorial pics that it was a picot. So now I am on my way, guided by the pics.

Give a good stare at the pattern photos as I mentioned, this has gotten me out of a lot of ?huh? moments for a weird maneuver a pattern was telling me to do, not so much which stitch to use as in your case, but hopefully will help identify whether a single stitch really does look like a US SC in a particular spot etc.  Good luck!

Just now, Granny Square said:

Give a good stare at the pattern photos as I mentioned, this has gotten me out of a lot of ?huh? moments for a weird maneuver a pattern was telling me to do, not so much which stitch to use as in your case, but hopefully will help identify whether a single stitch really does look like a US SC in a particular spot etc.  Good luck!

Thank you very much!

1 minute ago, ReniC said:

Oombawka.com has a project for translating crochet terms to US terms, including Italian.

Thank you Reni

Now that I have translated and completed the pattern, I find that the automated translators were giving me crazy non-sensical terms. I suspect crochet terms are hard for translators. The pattern has pictures so I could reproduce it from that, but I was determined to get a proper translation.