Pebble stitch

Nicolapen

Question

Making a blanket using pebble stitch. One side is slanted is this Ok / normal?

This is the end I start at when doing rows of SC and cluster stitches

All rows start / end with a SC 

16159297411651123267738.jpg

Edited by Nicjane
Better photo

6 answers to this question

Are you gaining or losing stitches, have you counted?  This little bit 'in' to the pattern is a good time to triple check, not so bad to rip a couple rows now than a couple dozen later. Presumably, because the bumps are offset, the number of bumps in rows 1 and 3 should match, and row 2 should be 1 bump fewer.

As I suspected, there are many (completely different) crochet stitches called 'pebble stitch' (knitting, too), and a quick check isn't finding one like yours - which pattern are you using?  Oh, found one that looks promising, this one?  If not the hat, the stitch pattern used?

https://www.hookedonhomemadehappiness.com/crochet-pebble-stitch/

Edited by Granny Square

11 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Are you gaining or losing stitches, have you counted?  This little bit 'in' to the pattern is a good time to triple check, not so bad to rip a couple rows now than a couple dozen later. Presumably, because the bumps are offset, the number of bumps in rows 1 and 3 should match, and row 2 should be 1 bump fewer.

As I suspected, there are many (completely different) crochet stitches called 'pebble stitch' (knitting, too), and a quick check isn't finding one like yours - which pattern are you using?  Oh, found one that looks promising, this one?  If not the hat, the stitch pattern used?

https://www.hookedonhomemadehappiness.com/crochet-pebble-stitch/

Below is link to pattern I am following loosely. I chained 122 stitches instead of those listed. from looking at my work more closely it appears I might have put my first pebble in the wrong place. Although I was not aware I had too many stitches at the end of the row which is how come I got so far. 

Starting first row of pebbles again so will see if I miscounted my chains.

Pretty Pebbles Stitch Pattern and Tutorial • Oombawka Design Crochet

17 hours ago, Nicjane said:

Making a blanket using pebble stitch. One side is slanted is this Ok / normal?

This is the end I start at when doing rows of SC and cluster stitches

All rows start / end with a SC 

16159297411651123267738.jpg

In the question and answer section the designer says slanting is to be expected. Blocking will be necessary. 

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted!  BTW, a trick on starting chains--if it's a long chain, or it's one of those 'multiple of x plus y' and are uncertain exactly what that means, chain the number you think will cover it, and add a few more.  You can pick out extra chains later, it won't unravel.  I always do this even when I think I've counted carefully and the chain is over 100 stitches, just in case...I've had to use one of those extras more than once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Glad you got it sorted!  BTW, a trick on starting chains--if it's a long chain, or it's one of those 'multiple of x plus y' and are uncertain exactly what that means, chain the number you think will cover it, and add a few more.  You can pick out extra chains later, it won't unravel.  I always do this even when I think I've counted carefully and the chain is over 100 stitches, just in case...I've had to use one of those extras more than once.

This is the best trick you have ever taught me!

• Like 1