dc in the next stitch

NatPL

Question

Hello, I am doing my first crochet project, it is a buzz lightyear from Toy Story. It is almost finished, but I am stuck in round 2 of the jet pack.

I don't know what it means "3 dc in the next stitch". If I do the first 9 dc I end up with only 2 stitches to work the other 11. I am sure I'm not reading this the right way.

Can someone help me, please?

Note that this instructions are written in UK terminology.

16131699401048070602152834746719.jpg

8 answers to this question

@NatPL if I understand the terminology you need to start with a chain of 18 not eleven.

Do 1 DC in each of 9 Chains - 9 chains left

3 DC in next chain - 8 chains left

1 DC in each of next 7 chains - 1 left

2 DC in last Chain 

You should then have 21 stitches - indicated in brackets at end of round.

First its a UK pattern so dc's are equivalent  to US sc.  

Second round one is making an oval.

So chaining 11 and 9 UK dc takes you down the chain leaving the last ch where 3 dc are made.  This makes the turn and you work 7 dc on the other side of the chain.  2dc in next stitch rounds out the other end.  21 stitches made.

https://www.allaboutami.com/foundationchain/

Edited by bgs
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the 'ville!  Did you read all the posts, and did what Bgs said above make sense?  (Ignore my first post, I was guessing wrong, ergo the head slap in my second post!)

Making an oval is a little 'weird', as said above you work across 1 side of the chain (as usual), and then (not typical) you flip it and work into the underside of the chain.

Anatomy of a chain - there are 3 loops.  With the chain-looking part facing you, there's 2 loops - one at the top, one on the bottom.  Behind these are the back bump.  When you work into a chain, you can use the top loop only (this is what I do), the top loop + the back loop, or flipping over the chain and using just the back loop. I do not recommend using the back loop for ovals, because it pulls the chain too tight for this process.

What Nicolapen said is exactly what you need to do - I'm going to quote her below and add a couple of comments in red

Do 1 DC in each of 9 Chains - 9 chains left

3 DC in next chain - 8 chains left  these 8 chains remaining are the loop or loops of the chain that were not used in the first pass - after doing this step, you rotate it so the underside of the stitches you made up to this point is facing up - the unused loops of the chains are available for you to work into

1 DC in each of next 7 chains' undersides - 1 left

2 DC in last Chain