Tension

Nicolapen

Question

Any tips on how to work out Crochet tension. I am struggling to get my stitches all looking the same (more or an issue with DC than with SC). Some are coming out looser than others and it will make the end result look wrong.

I have included an example or some double crochet I did (redid several of the stitches)

This is the first time using 100% cotton worsted weight yarn and 5mm crochet hook. 

brown.jpg

Edited by Nicjane

11 answers to this question

I find cotton like you are using harder to work with than acrylic.  It just doesnt slide as easy as acrylic.  Its harder on my hands and if I work with it too long my shoulder hurts.  Then the plies tend to split apart.  I have to really focus and concentrate on each stitch as I make it and if its loose I have to pull it out and try again.  I normally use a 4.00 mm or 5.00 mm hook with that yarn.  They are my old Boye G and H hooks from '70's.  

18 hours ago, bgs said:

I find cotton like you are using harder to work with than acrylic.  It just doesnt slide as easy as acrylic.  Its harder on my hands and if I work with it too long my shoulder hurts.  Then the plies tend to split apart.  I have to really focus and concentrate on each stitch as I make it and if its loose I have to pull it out and try again.  I normally use a 4.00 mm or 5.00 mm hook with that yarn.  They are my old Boye G and H hooks from '70's.  

@bgs Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think part of my problem is I am using my hands to get the loops off the hook. 

4 hours ago, Nicjane said:

@bgs Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think part of my problem is I am using my hands to get the loops off the hook. 

I learned using acrylic yarn and it was all I used for years (except #10 crochet thread) and I found this type yarn very different to work with.  

"I think part of my problem is I am using my hands to get the loops off the hook. "

That's interesting, because I'd you might have to do that if you were crocheting tightly (as in, it's so tight you need another hand to pull the yarn thru), but you aren't--you're crocheting rather loosely actually.

I just watched myself make a few stitches, because I was pretty sure I was not keeping the hook tip 'static' thru the whole process. It is either facing me, or facing down, depending on which angle keeps it out of the way.  When I say hook, I mean the 'nose' of the hook, the business end.

The hook is facing down when I'm pulling it thru a stitch--so there's nothing for the hook to 'snag' on. 

It's facing me when I'm chaining, yarning over, sticking the hook under the loops of the stitch of the row below.

This was not taught to me, or a conscious effort by me to make a smooth path (like I said, I had to stop and look at my hands); I guess I subconsciously 'learned' to give the hook a quarter turn (one way or another to keep the hook from snagging), for a smooth motion.

I don't know if it makes a difference that I hold the hook like a pencil, and the turning motion is mostly between my right thumb and forefinger. and wrist.  And my hook is held vertically most of the time

Hey Bgs, do you do this too?

Well Granny Square I am one of those people that can do things but not so good at explaining how I do it.  I do knife hold in right hand.  Dh's cousin pointed out that I tend to use my fingers (index on right hand and middle finger and thumb on left hand) to place yarn around hook rather than letting the hook do  the work.  If I do it right its like you said 

"The hook is facing down when I'm pulling it thru a stitch--so there's nothing for the hook to 'snag' on. 

It's facing me when I'm chaining, yarning over, sticking the hook under the loops of the stitch of the row below."

Unfortunately I have spent too many years of doing it the wrong way and never realized it until a couple of years ago.  I learned that I yarn over correctly on first part of stitches but I yarn under on the last part.  In doing the yarn unders the hook is still facing me and yes on yarn like this more apt to snag.  Acrylic slides across the hook so much easier than cotton.  It takes a bit of getting used to.

A while after I wrote the last line of my above post it occurred to me you might use a knife hold and then wondered how that would work, and that made my brain hurt a little.  Verrrry interesting you use your fingers too.

I totally get the 'too many years' thing.

24 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

A while after I wrote the last line of my above post it occurred to me you might use a knife hold and then wondered how that would work, and that made my brain hurt a little.  Verrrry interesting you use your fingers too.

I totally get the 'too many years' thing.

Self taught from books.  No internet and youtube way back when.  They didnt really show how to get yarn in position just the shots with the yarn and hook at different steps.  They also never showed how to weave in ends either.  I have learned so much from you and others here. 

I used kid's books when I started and I still suggest it to people because they tend to have really good pictures and they explained the basics in simple terms that made sense.  The projects were not great but I mostly needed to learn the stitches so I found them to be quite helpful. 

1 hour ago, Bailey4 said:

I used kid's books when I started and I still suggest it to people because they tend to have really good pictures and they explained the basics in simple terms that made sense.  The projects were not great but I mostly needed to learn the stitches so I found them to be quite helpful. 

I wish I had had kids books.  This is what I had for a great many years.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1211909783

I just got a skein or two of yarn, crocheted it then pulled it apart, over and over and over.  Didnt know what to make and being a kid didnt have much money to spend on yarn.

Edited by bgs

I learned as an adult.  My Aunt taught me the basics but I checked out books from the libary's kids section.  The pictures were so much better than the adult books I tried.  I bought the one's that made sense to me to use for reference until the adult stuff made more sense.

Edited by Bailey4